Yes, I Know

Which One?

• Core 2 Duo E8400

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Core 2 Quad Q6600

Votes: 26 55.3%

• Total voters

atentora

This question seems to be tossed around a lot on this forum but which is the better processor for gamming. I have seen valid arguments for each, but nothing that really states anything for one over the other.

So, which one?
The Core 2 Duo E8400 or the Core 2 Quad Q6600

Ambushed

I would say the E8400 for now, but in the future once more processing power is needed the quady would be up there.

Much the same.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say the E8400 for now, but in the future once more processing power is needed the quady would be up there.

Much the same.

i agree,however i think by the time games take full advantage of Quad core the quads we have now will be outdated.

Calibretto

VIP Member
At this point in time and with the gaming technology now, the E8400 is better BUT I got the Q6600 because it allows for more multi-tasking plus gaming really isn't that bad on a Q6600. I'm happy with mine :)

Computer_Freak

You will have minimal performance increase.

If you OC the Quad to 3GHz, then it is really good...

I would go for quad, simply cause you can multi task more, and cause games are starting to use all cores...

Q6600...

funkysnair

VIP Member
the e8400 get a a few frames more than the q6600 according to the benches ive seen but not enough for me to overlook the q6600...

i voted for the q6600 and ill never go back to dual core

g4m3rof1337

Q6600, its more future proof

But by the time anything comes out to utilize the Q6600, it will be obsolete and will have better choices to choose from, but for right now, it's fine.

I just bought an E8400 and love it, I was going to go with a Q66, but all my friends were saying it's not good gaming, not future proof *reason posted above*, and doesn't OC well.

My friends server has a Q66 and says it's fine, but it's up to you and what you plan on doing with it.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I'd go with the Q6600. I know that the E8400 is better for gaming but it's not like the quad won't run games fine. Software developers are really starting to push for software that can run on multi threads. I am sure that gaming is not all you do. Both are great processors...Intel legends...but I would personally go with the Quad.;)

g4m3rof1337

doesnt oc well?

I was told this from a friend who tried to overclock it, and couldn't get it past 4.0GHz, I believe.

I'd go with the Q6600. I know that the E8400 is better for gaming but it's not like the quad won't run games fine. Software developers are really starting to push for software that can run on multi threads. I am sure that gaming is not all you do. Both are great processors...Intel legends...but I would personally go with the Quad.;)

That's a good way to put it.

g4m3rof1337

It's not that ones better than the other, it's what you plan on doing with the CPU.

For me, my genre is mostly Gaming, with some Photoshop, the E8400 is perfect, but lets say for someone else who Games, but also does more Photo/Video edit, the Q66 is perfect.

fade2green514

well, people always say "it doesn't benefit gaming".. when personally, i use all four cores on a normal basis when im gaming. not only does the processor take care of background processes, but you can also play music in the background, or even burn a dvd if you're that crazy.

and then of course, there's looking up guides online if you can't beat a level or a boss. switching between applications has never been faster for me :)