Yes, I sold my laptop :)

Geoff

VIP Member
You guys were right, I did sell my laptop, lol. I decided to buy a laptop at Best Buy instead which has much better specs for gaming, and was cheaper! Honestly, Newegg doesn't have great deals on laptops.

Old Specs:
Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHz Bus/6MB)
Intel PM965
3GB DDR2 667
400GB (2x 200GB) 7200RPM HD
Dual 512MB 8600M GT's SLI
17" LCD @ 1680x1050
6000mAh Battery

New Specs:
Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066MHz Bus/3MB)
Intel PM45
4GB DDR3 800
200GB 7200RPM HD
512MB GDDR3 9800M GTS
17" LCD @ 1920x1200
7800mAh Battery

You may be wondering why I "traded". My Newegg laptop cost $1,800, and the Best Buy laptop cost $1,450. The Best Buy laptop has a much better battery, the Toshiba only lasts about 1 hour and 20 minutes, while the Gateway lasts about 3 hours. The Gateway also gets several thousand points more in 3DMark06 and is much better in games, not to mention it looks uber sweet!

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668123.php

Ramodkk

VIP Member
It was to be expected from you Geoff :p

But at least it was an great trade! :) My dad had a Gateway laptop and it never gave him problems ;)

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks, lol. I was thinking of doing this originally, but it was really the poor battery life of the Toshiba that did me in.

Mez

I like the orange outlines on the gateway =], now all you have to do is change your sig =P
And wow O_O the gateway is cheaper, and has better specs then your laptop off of newegg o_O

Oh and btw that laptop is better then the comp in my sig XD

and i hope that this isnt hijacking but, do you happen to know the minimum PSU wattage for a 4850? your like a computer expert XD

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah I love it, I can't believe it was cheaper at Best Buy! I really like it because it uses the new PM45 chipset and DDR3 RAM, so I can upgrade it to a quad core when it comes out later if I want.

I got 8,437 stock in 3DMark06. :)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Wow didn't pay attention to the PM45 and DDR3 part ;) I'm guessing that's the mobile version of the P45?

That was a great deal :)

We as well have found all the best laptop prices at BestBuy ;)

X24

What happened to the Toshiba would get 3+ hours? LOL I told you that wasn't that great of a laptop.

I did see the gateway deal, i believe tigerdirect actually has it cheaper, and a refurbished version EXTREMELY cheap as well.

Pretty cool looking to. If it was a 15.4" screen I think I'd even jump on it...but I'm just going to wait till black friday and pick up a good Ubuntu/Xubuntu lappy....

g4m3rof1337

I get a decent amount of battery life, if I even use it, I have that same laptop Geoff had, the Toshiba, and still am very glad I have it.

Though, are reasons for buying it may have been different, I got mine since it was great for the price, and I would be using it when I go to a far away LAN, and don't want to lug a case.

Since I only use it at LANs and whatnot, its always plugged in.

Geoff

VIP Member
What happened to the Toshiba would get 3+ hours? LOL I told you that wasn't that great of a laptop.

I did see the gateway deal, i believe tigerdirect actually has it cheaper, and a refurbished version EXTREMELY cheap as well.

Pretty cool looking to. If it was a 15.4" screen I think I'd even jump on it...but I'm just going to wait till black friday and pick up a good Ubuntu/Xubuntu lappy....
lol, I only got about an hour and twenty minutes, an hour and a half at max. Having dual video cards and two hard drives don't help either.

As for this new laptop, it's a Best Buy exclusive, Tiger Direct doesn't sell this model.

I get a decent amount of battery life, if I even use it, I have that same laptop Geoff had, the Toshiba, and still am very glad I have it.

Though, are reasons for buying it may have been different, I got mine since it was great for the price, and I would be using it when I go to a far away LAN, and don't want to lug a case.

Since I only use it at LANs and whatnot, its always plugged in.
You don't have the same exact one, the one I had was a 2.5GHz CPU, 400GB 7200RPM, etc. The Toshiba was an alright laptop, the speakers were great. SLI is just a pain though, the 9800M GTS performs a lot better anyways, and uses less power.

KPC84

Sweet laptop. I was looking at that one, but also an HP. My only question is I thought the T9300 was a better chip than the P8400?

X24

[-0MEGA-];1053558 said:
lol, I only got about an hour and twenty minutes, an hour and a half at max. Having dual video cards and two hard drives don't help either.

As for this new laptop, it's a Best Buy exclusive, Tiger Direct doesn't sell this model.

You don't have the same exact one, the one I had was a 2.5GHz CPU, 400GB 7200RPM, etc. The Toshiba was an alright laptop, the speakers were great. SLI is just a pain though, the 9800M GTS performs a lot better anyways, and uses less power.

Oh, i was looking at one with an 8800 not the 9800....lol my mistake.

But aren't the 8800 and 9800 rather close performance wise?

Geoff

VIP Member
Sweet laptop. I was looking at that one, but also an HP. My only question is I thought the T9300 was a better chip than the P8400?
The T9300 does have a higher clock speed and is faster, however the P8400 has a faster FSB, slightly more optimized architecture, uses less power, etc. And while that doesn't make up for the speed difference, I like knowing that I can upgrade to either a 2.8GHz C2D or the quad cores when they come out, as it uses the very new PM45-based motherboard.

Oh, i was looking at one with an 8800 not the 9800....lol my mistake.

But aren't the 8800 and 9800 rather close performance wise?
They are, but doesn't the one with the 8800M GTS only have a 1.86GHz C2D, and uses the older PM965 with DDR2 667 RAM?

KPC84

Well, for $1300 you can't beat this, especially with a full 1900 x 1200 display. I'm picking one up as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, for $1300 you can't beat this, especially with a full 1900 x 1200 display. I'm picking one up as soon as possible.

Cheers.
*$1,449, lol. The $1,349 model that Best Buy has on display is the older model which has the 8800M GTS, 1.86GHz C2D, DDR2, etc. It's well worth $100 more for the one I picked up, just ask for the 7811FX model.

X24

[-0MEGA-];1053782 said:
*$1,449, lol. The $1,349 model that Best Buy has on display is the older model which has the 8800M GTS, 1.86GHz C2D, DDR2, etc. It's well worth $100 more for the one I picked up, just ask for the 7811FX model.

Agreed. The good deal was the refurbished gateway on tigerdirect for like $800. Its the 1.86 C2D and 8800M GTS.

These gateway FX's are rather pretty too.

Just wishing they made a 15.4", i hate my 17" dell.

My next lappy is going to be a black-friday $200-400 linux lappy, I'll wait to spend big bucks when i go to college, then def. go Asus.

How's gateways bloatware though? I know dell and HP have quite a bit of it on them, I've never tried a gateway.

Geoff

VIP Member
I still can't believe how cheap it was at Best Buy when it wasn't even on sale, I absolutely love the FX! I actually like using it, the photos don't do justice either, the Toshiba on the other hand just seems kind of ugly and bulky, I swear I am going to keep this Gateway forever! As for the screen size, you get used to it, honestly 1.6" more isn't that much.

As for bloatware, there wasn't that much that came with the Gateway. It came with a 60-day trial of MS Office 2007, Norton 360, and a few misc. apps. Nothing compared to the Toshiba though.

X24

[-0MEGA-];1054096 said:
I still can't believe how cheap it was at Best Buy when it wasn't even on sale, I absolutely love the FX! I actually like using it, the photos don't do justice either, the Toshiba on the other hand just seems kind of ugly and bulky, I swear I am going to keep this Gateway forever! As for the screen size, you get used to it, honestly 1.6" more isn't that much.

As for bloatware, there wasn't that much that came with the Gateway. It came with a 60-day trial of MS Office 2007, Norton 360, and a few misc. apps. Nothing compared to the Toshiba though.

It is a great price, especially in somewhere like bestbuy where everything is extremely expensive compared to online.

I thought I'd get used to the 17" screen aswell, but 3 years later and i still hate myself for not going with a smaller laptop, and the Dell I9300 was even a smaller one of the 17"ers. I just about sold it after a month to get a cheaper 12.1" Averatec laptop....

What really pissed me off was the amount of bloatware included with the dell. I ended up having to reinstall windows to get it all off. It was much faster afterwards but I had to reinstall it a couple years later and i didn't have the disc so i had to change to linux.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have a 13.3" MacBook, 14.1" Acer, and now the 17" Gateway. I do like the smaller laptops for internet use and such, although the larger 17" laptops IMO are much better for watching videos, gaming, and if you appreciate having alot of screen space.

X24

I actually went to bestbuy today and got to check out your laptop. I've realized that it looks better in person and bestbuy salesman are retarded. This guy was trying to sell the laptop to a couple and he read exactly what it said on the tag, then added nonsense to it to make it sound good. "Your ram is the programs running, this is a nice laptop because it has 4 GEE BEE of ram"