Yet another college student looking for a laptop

Wooster

I'm looking for a windows laptop with a 13'' or smaller screen. I've considered both the Mac and Netbook alternatives, so while appreciate feedback, I'm not really looking for advice on those options (I feel like we've all heard the Mac v. PC debate a few to many times). As far as uses go, I'd like to use this for standard student use (web browsing, word processing, etc.), hopefully TF2 (system requirements here), and not much else. A few questions:
1. Do you think that TF2 should warrant a dedicated graphics card or could I get away with integrated graphics?
2. I'm pretty unfamiliar with laptops, so do you have any suggestions about reliability that goes beyond this article?
3. Recommend a laptop. Tentative budget $600-800, but if you feel as though a certain laptop is unusually well priced for the specs that is a bit flexible. As I mentioned above, I'm looking for something with a screen under 13 inches.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I really don't have any laptops to recommend in that budget range for you at the moment, but the Orangebox Engine that TF2 is based on, would run a lot better on a dedicated graphics card.

mojo42

really i think you're stuck with the 13.3 inch macbook pro for now. it's about the best option. if you have the budget, i would get the 2.66 GHz macbook.

osnola

alienware m11x....

starting price is 799... but will probably run you a little more in the long run... this thing is tiny and has the best performance you can find in a net book with an 11 inch screen.

mojo42

alienware m11x....

starting price is 799... but will probably run you a little more in the long run... this thing is tiny and has the best performance you can find in a net book with an 11 inch screen.

...or that... XP

iGeekOFComedy

M11X looks smoking hot :eek: But like any other PC laptop they get hot after a couple of months even just web browsing and they require extra fans. The MacBook pro on a 320M is ok. But if your gonna play crysis deff get the M11X + a steam download / external optical drive

tlarkin

VIP Member
well let me tell you lol..... you haven't lived until you have played crysis on a net-book ;)

that is the dumbest thing I have heard today. Play a FPS on a sub 10" screen netbook? I like my 20/20 vision and would like to keep it.

osnola

calm down bud, what i meant is it is great to have so much power under such a little hood, hahah and keep telling yourself that the m11x is too small.... it is the perfect size for a traveler or for a college student who has to carry it around to class all day. and if your not sure about the size go to microcenter and try it out.

fastdude

perhaps, but crysis would never run on a hand held console. I think the frame drops alone would cause epilepsy. Just saying...

Haha, true... No wonder nintendo never listened when I wrote a letter to them asking to Put CoD on the GameBoy ;) My mate loved it ya' see... They've got it on the DS now, though.

PC FTW for FPS's :)