Yet another, Computer won't boot.

spearlymatt

Well my friend build a computer a few years ago, a good computer at the time. But the problem is that the monitor will sometimes register the computer being on, and sometimes not. Most of the time it doesn't work. So I'll start from the beginning.

We replaced the existing hard drive with another, but the new one contained XP, and my friend said that it would cause trouble to have a hard drive with XP on a computer it was not originally on. So we installed Fedora 10. It worked fine, only one mouse and one keyboard worked with the computer out of about five. So it was running nicely, I think we had 768 megs of DDR in it, not sure of the speeds exactly. But I got it home, hooked it up worked fine, then my wireless keyboard and mouse quit working with it. I thought fine, they must have just died. I can't recall if at that point I plugged in a USB keyboard and mouse, and it repeated the process, or if that's the point where the monitor wouldn't recognize it. So after I realized the monitor was staying in sleep mode, but the computer seemed to be booting up, I tried different graphics cards. None of them seemed to function with that computer, but I was certain at least one of the graphics cards worked because I have it in my computer now. And then I did something idiotic, I figured I should test the memory and instead of doing it one by one, I did it two at a time. So after a week or so, I still couldn't get it to function, so one of my friends took it, and said that out of the three memory modules two of them were different speeds or something. So I put those two in my dell, and kept the one he had in it, in it. After I got the computer back, it booted fine with 256mb RAM. Then the mouse and keyboard problem again, and now I'm back to it not booting, or at least the monitor not recognizing it. So then I figured it only has a 400w power supply, and there are all sorts of fans, two DVD drives, a floppy drive, and a hard drive. So I disconnected everything that wasn't necessary, and it still wouldn't boot. If I had to make a guess, I would say it's a memory problem, or a HD problem, I'm leaning towards the post. So any help would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. - I apologize for the wall of text, it just needed to be explained in detail.

lawson_jl

If you pull out componet after componet and it doesn't fix the problem then what your left with is the motherboard or cpu. If I understand the post you've tested most of the hardware and it works in other computers then that makes even more sense you have a mobtherboard or cpu issue.