Yet another HD problem

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by Dystopia, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Dystopia

Dystopia Active Member

Hi, my brother has a 160GB HD. Here's the problem: it only shows up as 127GB. Any thoughts on what the problem ans solution is?
    Also if it helps, he had to re-format it several times, and Windows won't install XP anymore.

Thanks

2. simpletron

simpletron New Member

first you must realize you will lose some "space" because your Hard drive has 160 billion bytes but in binary a gigabyte is 2^30 or 1,073,741,824 bytes. So your hard should show ~149 GB in windows.

the reason why you have only 127 GB or 137,438,953,472 bytes is because in the orginal XP, that was the max for a single drive. they fixed it in SP1. here is the knowledge base info on this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

as for windows not installing, I don't have a clue.

3. Dystopia

Dystopia Active Member

thanks a lot, so then when he installs SP3, it should show 149GB. Anyone else know why windows won't install? Could trying it with SP3 help? thanks!

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If you have reformatted lots of times, there is a high possibility that some of the hard drive is tagged bad sectors and won't be useable.

5. Dystopia

Dystopia Active Member

ok thanks a lot, i will tell him. any way to fix these "bad sectors? because he can still install other stuff on it, just no xp.

thanks