Yet another RAM question

lman

Hey guys, I have a slightly older computer (3 yr) I have a ASUS P4SD-LA with a P4 2600, I got it and it only had 512k of PC 2700 so I got another 256k stick to put in it, I am looking to get some more ram,, I want to stick close to 100$ or so, the question is should I get a 1gig stick of 2700 and just throw it in? or should I just get a set of 512 sticks at like pc 4000, and run them in dual channel? newegg has a 2x512 set of crucial pc 4000 for about 130$. any advice would be greatly appericated, as you can tell by my questions I am very much a novice so keep the answers simple please, thanks

Last edited:

lman

ok here is another thought, I am almost positive I read that this won't work, what would happen if I got a 2 512 sticks and put them in the right slots to run them in dual channel? would they run at 6.4 and just let the other 2 fill the other 2 slots, my guess is no, as this would be to easy of an answer.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It's 512MB, not K ;)

Anyways, it would work with a 512mb stick and a 256mb stick, but it won't be able to run in dual channel (does that mb support dual channel?). If you get 2 512mb sticks it would work too. Just don't get PC4000, your computer only runs it at 2700 speed. And what do you mean if they run in 6.4?

lman

I thought if you ran ram in dual channel mode it has 6.4 Gb/s instead of 3.2 Gp/s (I think it is Gb/s...or bandwidth...or what everit measures) My MB does support Dual channel, and I know that the RAM will only run as fast as the slowest stick, but is it better to get rid of the 768 at 2700 I have now and get 2x512 at PC4000 or just get a 1gig stick at 2700. I guess what I am trying to figure out is when is it better to keep putting 2700 in, or is it better to upgrade to PC 4000 in dual channel. ?? 1768 at 2700 single channel or 1gig at PC4000 in dual channel ???

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought if you ran ram in dual channel mode it has 6.4 Gb/s instead of 3.2 Gp/s (I think it is Gb/s...or bandwidth...or what everit measures)
In dual channel you have up to double the bandwidth available of the slowest stick of RAM.

TherealChessnut

I am also new to computer building but I'll try to help if I can. I found specs for your motherboard online, like you said, it supports dual channel, but it wouldn't support PC4000 memory, only up to PC3200. Could be a mistake on my part (finding the specs for the wrong motherboard or something) so here is the link for you to check: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=326411&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00022505

I think if I were you I would try to find 1GB at PC2700 (preferably of the same brand/series as one of the other sticks since you know those have worked with the motherboard) I doubt the jump from PC2700 to PC 3200 would justify throwing out the old memory. Just my two cents though. I hope that helps.

TherealChessnut

lman

Yeah thats the right MB, I never found the exact one from the ASUS site, I guess that answers the question, just about perfectly, thanks. think I am gonna go with the Kingston ValueRAM