You guys get to build my computer!!

CobraSvt9746

basically i have about 4000 dollars to play with and i sold my laptop to build a computer for 3d modeling and game design which is what i am going to school for at ITT.

anyways i want the best i can get for the price...the fastest, best graphics, etc.

i started getting my own list together awhile ago with some researching but i think you guys can help me to it faster and better.

after a while people start suggesting the same things i will make a list of what i will get

i will need everything and i mean everything

-mouse
-monitor
-fans
-keyboard
-computer case
-graphic cards........and obviously everything else to make it work

it will not be used just for a workstation but probably more than gaming....i would say 60-40 (%)

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Which would you be doing more of? 3D Modelling or Gaming? If your doing more modelling i would go with an ATI Fire GL card, if your gaming i would go with a 7900 series card.

I would also highly recommend a Dual-core CPU, the AMD X2 4800+ would be a very good choice.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Athlon 64s don't come in Dual CPU configurations. You're looking at two identical processors from the AMD Opteron 2xx series. It should easily fit into your budget, and would be a very good choice for workstation use.

Dr Studly

banned
this is my favorite thing to do on computer forum is make ppl configurations...!!!! i wish they gave me a job for specially doing that :)!!! bb in 15 minutes

34erd

CobraSvt9746 said:
yeah i bet it is even more fun with my budget
Heheh... yes

I sugest you wait for Praetor to respond to this thread before you buy, he knows alot about workstations.

Dr Studly

banned

about $3,870:)

now everybody make your changes/corrections...

MIK3daG33K

Encore4More said:

about $3,870:)

Encore this would be a very good gaming computer, but i'm sure that you could build a better workstation for the money.

Jet said:
Get the DFI mobo that was posted earlier

The SLI-DR that DFI makes allows for the extra room you need for the big heatsinks of the 7900 GTX.

34erd

Ok... lemme start

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX60 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core - $1,015
As said before, dual 2XX optys would fit his needs better.

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7900GTX 512MB - $1078 (get 2 of these... if they would fit next to each other... any imput on this?)
Hes not doing actual gaming, just rendering, so thsi would be a waste of money. For his budget and needs its not worth cramming in highe end video cards. Instead you should concentrate on the CPU/RAM subsystem.

The other components basicly all change once you change the above...

goosy22

i know i may not be the smartest user on these boards but i was looking at this computer a long time ago and i was informed that it was more of a workstation... although it didn't fit my specs, i thought i should tell you about it...

it's on adamant.com and here's the link to the actual customization page...
http://www.adamant.com/customize_sd3560.asp?GotoID=CUST&systid=SYS-D3560&menu=SYSLINE4

it doesn't include a monitor and it starts off at just under a grand... the one thing you could change is the video card setup... but for the money it's the best dual processor setup i've found...