You Guys Gonna Upgrade?

i.Angel

Hey guys. I just wanted to ask what you guys thought of AMD's new project coming out and the compadibility (SP?) of DDR2. Do you guys usually upgrade when big breakthroughs come like new socket types? (SLi, Dual Cores CPU's, Crossfire, etc.) I was wondering if you guys think that with the new changes for AMD users will bring a big performance difference to the market. Also, tell me if it's worth waiting for... because I have enough money to buy a good PC, but I think I might wait for AM2 to come out.

Suggestions? Comments? Welcome!:D

thanks guys, GamerGuy

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
i've never actually had the chance to adopt new technology as soon as its out because i've never been in the financial situation to do so.... same goes for AMD's new socket. i would be a new adopter of technology, i dont really see a problem because the products go through rigorous testing, the only issues that i've seen are due to crap drivers

i.Angel

So, Hairy, should I wait? Or buy a computer now? I'm thinking that I should wait that way I have bleeding edge technology as soon as it comes out instead of buying alright tech and 2 months later they come out with the new socket type and DDR2. Also I heard that there is DDR3 coming out?? Is this true?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
ive not been following the progress of ddr3 but i look at it this way; when you look at the athlon64 and the pentium 4 one uses ddr while the other uses ddr2, now i dont think that the athlon is exactly held back by using ddr and not ddr2.
i would go with the new tech when it comes out but the obvious disadvantage is that it will cost more. my preference would be to go with the newer tech when it comes out but the final choice is down to you

Xycron

banned
I wait for two technilogaical advances, and then i get the first one not the second. then its HELL OF ALOT CHEAPER> Thats like consoles. I got the SNES when N64 came out, i got the N64 when the gamecube came out, and i'll be getting the Ps2 when the PS3 comes out. same thing ussaly goes for PC's too. I waited till al;l the Geforce 7's came out and got the 6's .

i.Angel

They are coming out with the exact same CPU's for their new socket. All the same X2's (besides the X2 3800+) and mostly all the Athlons. How much do you judge that an X2 4400+ will cost me when the new tech comes out? It's like what, $600 now? around $800 probably?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
very tough to say, you do pay a premium for new tech; i remember when i got my athlon tbird 1GHz not long after it came out and that left an almighty dent in my funds.
there will be processors with much higher performance ratings and also there will be the first athlon64 FX with dual core

i.Angel

God... an FX dual core? I've seen one of those things on my friend's computer (he's a richy:() and it's incredibly fast... or maybe because I'm used to my P4 2.66 :(

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
it might have something to do with that lol. but i think that thing would be an utter monster of a CPU.... there really are no other words i can think of

i.Angel

I wish I was rich that way I could fulfill my dreams of computer making... (dual 512 7800 GTX, fx-57, 4GB's RAM, etc.)

But I'm happy with whatever I buy because I can call it mine and there is a lot of work put into it... mostly cut grass if you catch my drift :)

blackdragon258

I always end up waiting, especially lately. When 64bits came out, a couple friends of mine bought them as soon as they were released. They spent a lot of money on their systems. Now, just over a year later, I bought a 3700+ that will destroy their new systems, and paid half the price, not even.

At the rate software isn't keeping up with hardware advances, it simply isn't worth it to upgrade right away.