'You have a security problem' popup

happysaz133

I'm pretty much completely in the dark when it comes to viruses, so I'm looking for some help.

I have Norton Anti-Virus on my computer, and have kept it updated to protect my computer. It's always worked fine, and I have never had any problems, until yesterday when I switched the computer on, a small popup in the corner of the screen appeared, saying 'You have a security problem'. All these windows opened saying it was Anti-Virus and it showed a list of all the problems in my system, and told me I needed to upgrade to protect the computer. So naturally I was a little wary, because even I know you have to be careful when it comes to downloading some things. So I got all those windows closed, and then a small Norton box appeared saying 'An attempt to attack your computer was blocked'. I clicked 'Details' and it said it was a 'Fake Virus Scan'.

However ever since, this popup keeps appearing, and the windows too. I just don't know if its genuine and I should download this (for £35 roughly), or if its something to worry about. I ran a scan on Norton and it didn't say any problems BUT I looked online and it said this Anti-Virus program picks up codes that Norton cannot.

Either way, this popup and windows is getting very annoying, and I can't quite deal with it much longer, I'm trying to get work done, and its making it very difficult.

So what do I do? Should I take it to a computer place? Thanks in advance.

adarsh

1. Please download the latest copy of HijackThis from Trend Micro and save it to your desktop.
  2. Double click on HJTInstall.exe to install it. Click on Install. By default, it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  3. Read through the License Agreement presented to you on the next screen and click on I Accept.
  4. Once installed, HijackThis will start automatically. If it doesn't, please go to your desktop and double click on the HijackThis shortcut created there.
  5. Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.
  6. Close HijackThis.

Please note that I will not be helping you with the log, I'll PM ceewi about this.
/Thank you/

ceewi1

VIP Member
As mep916 has said, start with the scans in the sticky. If you still have problems post the logs they generate so that we may provide accurate advice.

bm23

correct me if im wrong, but isnt using hijackthis for the problem is a bit of an overkill? im just speakin from experience here since i never get any popups using spybot. unless of course, the popups are accompanied by other miscellaneous problems that wont go away.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
correct me if im wrong, but isnt using hijackthis for the problem is a bit of an overkill? im just speakin from experience here since i never get any popups using spybot. unless of course, the popups are accompanied by other miscellaneous problems that wont go away.

A hijackthis log will allow us to see malicious running processes, browser help objects and other nasty stuff. Believe me, a hijackthis log after running malwarebytes is necessary. ;)