you know....this will sound crazy but might be brilliant

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by kazkepox, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kazkepox

kazkepox New Member

you know I have always known "keep your pc cool and things wont break. I instantly thought "why not just put your pc an like a mini-fridge or something? thats it.... make the computer case out of a minifridge. sure, it iwll be huge but absolutely nothing can overheat in there, heck you can even keep your energy drinks in there too. anyways it was a stupid/crazy/brilliant idea that came to me.

2. kazkepox

kazkepox New Member

3. ScOuT

ScOuT VIP Member

I have seen people who messed with this idea on a few forums (Overclock.net forum and xtremesystems forum) The problem is...the fridge is very well insulated so when heat is PRODUCED inside, it traps it in and actually makes a mini oven. A fridge is not made to cool hot things like a hot computer, and many do not have the power to cool faster than a computer will heat up. It will basically roast your computer in there:D I have seen a few guys who got it working ok...but the majority of them are failures.

4. Gooberman

Gooberman Active Member

Lol leave it on over night and wake up and open the fridge door and it's all melted and smoking now that would suck

5. kazkepox

kazkepox New Member

hehe it was just a boredom idea lol

6. PohTayToez

PohTayToez Active Member

Another problem is that if it gets TOO cool, condensation forms. Water and computer equipment don't exactly mix very well.

7. ikermalli

ikermalli New Member

It would be better if they made liquid cooling liquids to be able to stay at a low temp normally, that would be sick, so it would be the perfect temperature (or adjustable).

8. bomberboysk

bomberboysk Active Member

Well, the main issue with this is not only the insulation, but the fact that refridgerators do not run the compressor 100% of the time like say, an air conditioner. If anything, you would want to use a large air conditioner blowing inside a case..

9. bigrich0086

bigrich0086 Active Member

dont forget when you got a consistent hot piece in a cool fridge you will now have to fight moisture on your parts.

10. ScottALot

ScottALot Active Member

Just get rid of some of the insulation and use the freon/ac pump. Poke some ventilation holes in front and back, put some 120mms, some 80mms, w/e to circulate the air making sure it doesn't get too hot or too cool.