Your Advice

agashka

I would like your advice on the next computer im building for myself:

ASUS A8N-VM/CSM(s939)
AMD 3800+ X2
2GB Ram 2x1gb OCZ 3-3-3-8(or does the 2-3-2-5 worth 50$CAD more?)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT 256MB
Zboard Keyboard/Logitech MX1000
19" Benq 8ms screen
Qpack case

Any suggestion on that? I know there millions of guys that kow better then me on pcs ;)

thanks

liquidshadow

You might want a 17" monitor unless the price difference is minimal. Maybe 1 gig instead of 2 and upgrade the processor or video card. The ATI Radeon x1800xt is only $489 from Sapphire.

Motoxrdude

Yea that computer would kick a$$, if you have a crazy budget, you could also get a raptor HDD or something like it

Motoxrdude

liquidshadow said:
You might want a 17" monitor unless the price difference is minimal. Maybe 1 gig instead of 2 and upgrade the processor or video card. The ATI Radeon x1800xt is only $489 from Sapphire.
Stick with the 2gb, beleive me, it makes a huge difference

agashka

Do a Raptor HDD SOOO worth it? cauz i could alway buy a IDE 250GB and a raptor 36GB for Windows and couple of games.

And hum , well i dont really like ATI, im pretty sure it's a nice card , but when ill be bored of SFF ill buy a second 7800 , a new motherboard and a new case :) while Crossfire , is based on old technologie... hum...

The Zboard , hum , just the default 50$ one...

19" Monitor will not really be used for gaming , instead i *might* build a projector with a 15" screen. Im a dual Screen guy...

For the 2Gbs , hum , ive got 1GB and once 3DS Max said i didnt ave enought Free ram for something :| and i see it grow sometimes up to 900mb for a game... so 2gb would be fine nah? My worry about ram is more the Latency , cauz i dont even know what it is...

thanks guys , i really like the support your giving me :)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yea that computer would kick a$$, if you have a crazy budget, you could also get a raptor HDD or something like it

I hate raptors simply because they are expensive. I don't believe the price vs performance ratio is worth it when you get soooo much more HD when you purchase 7200rpm drives for much less.

liquidshadow

Motoxrdude said:
Stick with the 2gb, beleive me, it makes a huge difference
In what ways? Don't say Battlefield 2, it might run better on 2 but i am running it max on 1 with no freezing

agashka

Well , im getting it in Mid-low with my 6800 128mb... time to upgrade :)

and when i play NFS Most Wanted:
I start the game
Go to option and change all from Low to Hight
Play , and it became under 30fps and lagging , i put it a step lower
Play , and it became under 30fps and lagging , i put it a step lower
until it's at low back
i stop playing cauz i ant seeing anything :(

Well , there another question:
wwhats better:
2x Stata2 HDD on Raid0
or
1x Raptor 36GB

Lax

VIP Member
Stick with the 250 SATA (find one with a 16Mb buffer if that one doesn't have one) usually Maxtor makes cheaper ones (price wise). Keep it at a gig of ram, 2 is just overkill. No need to upgrade the video card, looks fine as it is.

agashka

2GB is not only for gaming , me like to video editing and some other stuff , and me aving bad experience with maxtor and switching to Seagates Caviar that are 16mb and seems to earn respect on tomshardware