Your Desktop! How Much Did It Costs!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My rig (TigerDirect barebones) was $250 for mobo, case, 512MB RAM, and processor. I then added another 2.5 GB of memory, a G15 keyboard, CyberSnipa mousepad, second DVD burner, video card, heatsink, new LED HSF, and a few case fans. I spent somewhere around $400-$480 maybe.

HDD's were used from previous machines, along with the optical drives, monitors, and mouse.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Started with a cheap compaq presario desktop for around $350 and upgraded on to that. Note that my comp is completely different now from what it was before all the upgrades. Only thing that remains from the compaq is the HDD.

Total to about $1300 US :eek: in upgrades

Ramodkk

VIP Member
It's nice to be upgrading part by part but it takes a whole lot more of $$$!! :eek:

Imagine what a rig you could get with ~$1300 now :rolleyes:

@ Shawnhill, if I were you, I woulg get a separate power supply and NOT use the one that comes with the case. Logysis is not a good brand for power supplies, I tell you by experience ;)

Get yourself something like a Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Rosewill.

G25r8cer

^^ Very true it does take more money in the long run but, it gives you something to look forward to and spending time on it.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yep, in fact let my tell you the original specs of the Compaq

AMD Sempron
512MB RAM
GeForce 6150

:D

so yeah

G25r8cer

^^ Wow!! I just added the xfx 8600gt xxx, Ultra 600w, and the Samsung 750gb hdd. All together it runs decent but, im still craving a new mobo and a quad core AMD in the future.

Bob Jeffery

lol i started out with a $300 emachine from walmart....today i decided to throw in my old hard drive and i put ubuntu on it. Just ordered a 8600gt, getting a 22in monitor for my birthday in august, Christmas I'm getting a new psu and a amd 6000x2....then next year maybe a 8800 or 9800

G25r8cer

^^ Yeah im running a 17" Widescreen and its just not enough. Good thing I just got a free old 17" dell crt to hook up for dual monitors.

Shawnhill07

It's nice to be upgrading part by part but it takes a whole lot more of $$$!! :eek:

Imagine what a rig you could get with ~$1300 now :rolleyes:

@ Shawnhill, if I were you, I woulg get a separate power supply and NOT use the one that comes with the case. Logysis is not a good brand for power supplies, I tell you by experience ;)

Get yourself something like a Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Rosewill.

all nice comps guys gives me somethng to look forward too! hate not having a comp at least i have a decent lappy(sony vaio vgn-nr120e)

will deff get a diff psu everyone has been telling me i should.

Langers2k7

The rig in the sig cost nigh-on 600 quid, including mouse keyboard monitor and O/S.

That is not including the AC Freezer 7 Pro, any of the hard disks except 1 x 160gb, and I started with an 8600GT before upgrading to my current card.
Oh and I've added a few more fans and changed my O/S on numerous occasions. And added a card reader. And a 4-fan Aerogate controller with LEDs. And a new PSU since my old one blew up.

So yeah, not a complete waste of money but it does it's job.