Your Diagnosis Plz

GMEOVR83

OK...I have a small computer problem...but b4 I replace any parts Id like to see what others think my problem might be.

When I 1st build my PC I...well..I broke it tbqh. Im not very mechanically inclined so I kinda bent some processor pins being too rough with it. Ever since, whenever I turned the computer on, I would need to wait 10 to 30 seconds after I pushed the button b4 it would boot.

I overlooked this for a while.

But...after bringing my whole computer to a friends house for a party...It stopped booting entirely. My 1st thought was that the processor went since I already bent the pis once and had to try and bend them back for it to work. I swear this is the issue and Im about to buy a new processor...but my brother-in-law says its probably the power supply, not the processor.

Now I dont know if he realizes that I bent the pins when I installed it, so that may be why he doesnt think its the processor. But I dont think its the power supply since I still have a link light on the NIC when the computer is plugged in...even tho its off and not booting.

So what do you guys think?
- processor?
- or power supply?

Also feel free to laugh at my misfortune if u must...since it is my fault to begin with XD

paratwa

I would say since you were moving the system around, possibly banging it in the process, then something came loose inside. Try reseating all of your cards, ram and all cable connections, including all of the power connections to the motherboard.

Try that first before assuming it is the power supply or your CPU.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Stopped starting? Freeze at boot? If you even get the POST screen, the CPU's fine. As long as the pin is not broken, it's fine. Take it out again and take an look at it.

GMEOVR83

ok the computer doesnt boot at all...as in it never turns on...not even to POST
it acts as though its not plugged in or the power button isnt connected...by nether of those is the case

and I probably shouldve mentioned that I did already check the cables and such to make sure they were firmly in place

paratwa

This might seem like a stupid question, but did the switch on the back of the power supply get turned off? I ask because I am surprised with the number of people that don't even know there is one there.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ok the computer doesnt boot at all...as in it never turns on...not even to POST
it acts as though its not plugged in or the power button isnt connected...by nether of those is the case

and I probably shouldve mentioned that I did already check the cables and such to make sure they were firmly in place

Try Paratwa's idea. It's an great idea. An small click and you could spend $xxx trying to fix it. If that doesn't work, get an low cost PSU and replace it. Tell us what happens then.

GMEOVR83

lol ya ive done that b4...but again, I made sure to check all the silly little things b4 making any purchases...thanks for the suggestions tho

taylormsj

Bedning pins on the processor doesnt realy do any damage as long as they are bent back into place, ive done it to mine before and its fine

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Bedning pins on the processor doesnt realy do any damage as long as they are bent back into place, ive done it to mine before and its fine

It should be fine as said above as long as the pin isn't broken. An loose pin / broken pin may cause that, but I doubt it would stop starting... it would start but no POST screen...