your opinion on SUPERAntiSpyware free version

razz

Do you recommend or not recommend SUPERAntiSpyware free version?
I use Ad-Aware 2008 Free Version and was thinking about also running SUPERAntiSpyware free version. What is your opinion?

Thank you for your time!

PC eye

banned
Spyware Terminator is about the best seeing an active guard around the system registry. http://www.spywareterminator.com/

I briefly looked at the latest Ad-Aware 2008 and reinstalled the 2007 version when recently reinstalling Windows. The 2008 version is now a free trial download compared to the previous freeware version.

When recently running a sweep on a friend's pc since he is pc illiterate Ad-Aware was run along with ST and the free version of AVG 8.0. The 124 "infections" found by Ad-Aware were 1 trojan, 2 adbots, and the remaining were simply "tracking cookies". Don't be mislead when Ad-Aware labels them as infections. Tracking cookies are merely small text files used for tracking your browsing habits when online.

PC eye

banned
Your welcome! There is more item to add however. Never, never count on any one program 100%.

The best advice is to be familiar with various programs since something will always manage to get past one or another. The example I gave earlier shows how one program found this while the next found that and so forth.

mushroom-eater

I haven't tried any of the anti-virus that you mentioned. I'm using McAfee Free edition, but I'm thinking of switching to another anti-virus.

PC eye

banned
You would certainly be advised by any number of people here to first "Dump"! McAFee once and for all as the worst of the lot. No one has a good word for it. Norton is also seeing a bad rep as a bloated software.

AVG has been a champ here for some time with the latest 8.0 version seeing some rather interesting improvements especially for gamers running into problems with antivirus being active. The latest build now sees the Ewido antispyware protection added in along with antiroot kit protection by Grisoft. The optional IE toolbar for the free version includes a degree of popup protection as well as an antiphising filter of it's own.

Some others are Nod32, Win AntiVIR, Clam, Avast to consider as opposed to ... McAFee! :eek: :p You can try out the free edition of AVG at http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe

PC eye

banned
I gave Avast a run sometime back and found the one thing effective with that was the antiphising filter now seen in IE 7 and in the AVG IE security bar that is included as an option with the latest free edition of AVG.

On the other hand AVG was flagging trojans even caught one while being totally disabled in the msconfig utility. That was when one of the prior releases sprang to life when something got on the drive. The latest recently flagged an known folder in Programs that appeared out of nowhere on Vista. A new Vista bug?!