Your suggestion on pricing for data recovery

Charge or not to charge?

• Should offer the service for free

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmtgb

What is the average charge a computer technician would charge to recover many files from a computer that has died?

The CPU has packed-in and i have taken apart the laptop.
Recovering the files is simple enough for me as all i have to do is plug it into the spare Sata data and power cords from my desktop and drag the files off.

I was thinking about doing it for free, but my mother thinks i should charge around £25.

Just wondering what others suggest?

also what the charge would be on top of a new cpu if i find the time to fix it?
was thinking about heating up the processor to see if that does anything
& or buying a new component if thats not a success.

cheers

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
At work we charge $50 for data recovery over a few GB. If it's less it's normally $25. If it's over 40GB then it's $100.

jmtgb

At work we charge $50 for data recovery over a few GB. If it's less it's normally $25. If it's over 40GB then it's $100.

i havent looked yet but apparently its many files
The drive is a 340GB so im guessing its at least 100gb
The client has given me an external USB ready HDD for the transfer.

thanks for your reply

PohTayToez

For us it's $35 for a simple transfer, assuming the hard drive is in good working order. If we actually have to do a recovery (i.e. files are not easily accessible) it's generally $75-$200.

Geoff

VIP Member
Who is this person to you, is it a family friend or family member? If it's a complete stranger I would definitely charge, if it's for a family member or friend I'd do it either for free or very cheap.

jmtgb

Who is this person to you, is it a family friend or family member? If it's a complete stranger I would definitely charge, if it's for a family member or friend I'd do it either for free or very cheap.

It's someone i personally have never met before, but some woman my mum knows (not very well).

I have extracted all the necessary files (user folder)... was 24.5GB
Placed on the external HDD she included.

Then i fitted everything back into the faulty laptop... plugged everything back together... i hate leaving loose screws around and having it in pieces in my work area.

Waiting for further notice to find out if she wants me to try and repair/replace the CPU and fix the Laptop. Or to format the HDD for security reasons.

I won't ask for anything, but will be open to voluntary contributions.

///p.s. just took apart an xbox360 120gb HDD I bought the other day for £1.50... its got the same SATA connections as this laptop... done from curiosity. thinking about using it on my tower for college course related files.