Youtube problem on Opera

Dimitri

Seemingly at random, in Opera YT will give me the message that some video can't be played because I can't play any of the formats, however I clearly play at various times both html5 videos and flash (I can tell by the different interface) and on FFox I can play every YT video.

When I go to the YT page that shows which formats my browser supports there's a ! next to H.264 and MSE & H.264, everything else is good.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Dimitri

When I type that into the URL bar it takes me to a menu called "experiments" and there's 128 things I can change but there's no MSE-h264 support option.

However, I just realized that, even tho Opera tells me I have the latest version, I have Opera 36, which is not the latest. So I'll update and get back to you.

Dimitri

Well, turns out that since I'm on win XP this is the latest version I'll be able to use, later versions aren't supported on XP. Don't know whether that makes a difference.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Looked into it a bit more, seems Windows XP doesn't have native support for h264 (which is the MSE-264 thing) hence it not working in Opera.

Firefox may be providing support for it by a plugin I'm not sure.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect yes, but unfortunately I don't have an XP machine I can try it out myself with.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You could try installing a codec pack like K-Lite and see if that helps.

But in all seriousness, you should move off XP.