YouTube question

tech explorer

From what I gather, I can watch a YouTube video on my LED tv by pairing my smartphone
to the tv through (in this case) my blu-ray player. Would anyone know more about this? Also can the video be legally copied?

CrazyMike

I have a Samsung Smart Tv in which can be paired with my Samsung S3. I go to youtube.com/pair on my mobile. I open the YouTube app on my TV and pair my device by entering the code given. Then i browse videos on my mobile, playing them on my TV.

It could be easier if YouTube somehow integrated the AllShare feature that Samsung has. Many less steps.

BTW what kind of Blue-Ray player do you have?

tech explorer

It's a SONY make•believe, model BDP-S185.

It clearly shows YouTube videos on the box. Does this also mean I can play downloaded videos through the blu-ray player on my tv? Also do I need HDMI hookup or would a regular coaxial cable work?

Last edited:

CrazyMike

It's a SONY make•believe, model BDP-S185.

It clearly shows YouTube videos on the box. Does this also mean I can play downloaded videos through the blu-ray player on my tv? Also do I need HDMI hookup or would a regular coaxial cable work?

Do you have it hooked up? Did you open up the Youtube application? If so, is there a "Pair" option? (I'm trying to search for instructions on how to do this with this DVD player with no luck yet)

From what I see in the Sony website, Coaxial cable isn't even availible under the "Inputs, outputs" tab?

EDIT: There is an app that can be downloaded to a smartphone to be used as a controller. You can see the details in this YouTube video
Although i don't see it controlling youtube. Might be worth a try though.

Last edited:

tech explorer

The tv doesn't have an outlet for HDMI. Unless there's an adapter for an HDMI hookup to the tv or my regular DVD player (which I doubt there is), then I guess I'll have to wait until I upgrade to a LCD tv to get set up for the blu-ray player. But in the meantime it doesn't hurt to ask a few questions ahead of time to prepare.

tech explorer

One more question if you don't mind. Since you're going from the smaller screen of your phone to the larger screen of your tv, does the picture degrade or does it remain the same?

CrazyMike

One more question if you don't mind. Since you're going from the smaller screen of your phone to the larger screen of your tv, does the picture degrade or does it remain the same?

The way my specific situation works is that i pair my phone with my tv. What happens is when i select the video i wish to watch on my phone, my TV searches for the same video. Meaning my phone is not broadcasting the video signal to my television, it is just sending the information in which video i wish to watch.

Ya, if you don't have a HDMI input you can't really use it no.

tech explorer

The way my specific situation works is that i pair my phone with my tv. What happens is when i select the video i wish to watch on my phone, my TV searches for the same video. Meaning my phone is not broadcasting the video signal to my television, it is just sending the information in which video i wish to watch.

Ya, if you don't have a HDMI input you can't really use it no.

Fascinating technology. So it really works for YouTube and the other things indicated on the box (I wonder where the tv signal comes from - I'll research that later).

Thanks.

CrazyMike

Fascinating technology. So it really works for YouTube and the other things indicated on the box (I wonder where the tv signal comes from - I'll research that later).

Thanks.

See, in your situation, i don't think that you can control youtube in the same sense as I do. I believe that the only thing for Sony (maybe prove me wrong) is that there is an app to download to a smartphone to act as a controller. Meaning all the features of a controller on your smartphone. As for browsing YouTube, I believe that you must open the app on the DVD player and use either the controller to navigate through, or your smartphone controller. Hopefully that make sense.

I believe it uses the wifi ability to communicate through devices. In other words, the wifi signal to network.