Z-170, z-170a or Z-97 ?

Call Me Al

Hey guys,
So while I was building my PC, I came to this question: Whats better to install my hardware on?
Z-170 , Z-170A or Z-97?
The Graphics card im planning to run on it is Geforce GTX 1060,
and the CPU is Intel Core I5 6600K 3.5Ghz Quad Core.
Thanks for your help,
Al.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The Z-97 is a socket 1150 motherboard... the i5 6600k is a socket 1151 cpu. It won't fit.

Any letters after the Z-170 is a manufacturer label to differentiate the different types of motherboards they have of that socket. Typically, just pick the one that doesn't have any old school PCI slots, meaning that the motherboard only has PCI-E expansion slots.

Be sure to have an aftermarket cooler on the 6600k as it doesn't come with a cooler.

Agent Smith

Typically, just pick the one that doesn't have any old school PCI slots, meaning that the motherboard only has PCI-E expansion slots.

That is not correct information. I've seen many socket 1151 boards that have one PCI slot.

Imagine if they also had a PS/2 port and a serial header? LOL

Intel_man

VIP Member
That is not correct information. I've seen many socket 1151 boards that have one PCI slot.
Why don't you re read what I wrote. I told him to pick a board that DOESN'T have a PCI slot. Seriously, how does what I said make that "information" not correct. Besides, PCI slot boards are trash. total waste of space that could've had a pcie slot instead.

Agent Smith

I did read what you wrote and you came across as saying that a board with a PCI slot should be avoided. While I'm saying I've seen a many 1151 socket MOBOs with a PCI slot.

Point here is that just because a MOBO has a lone old PCI slot doesn't, I repeat DOESN'T disqualify it to be used.

beers

Staff member
No use in arguing over statements that aren't even the same context. Similar to Intel Man I would go for a straight PCI-E only board unless you have a need for legacy PCI as it consumes one of your expansion slots that could otherwise be used for an additional PCIE card.