Z170 Krait Gaming Mobo- GPU Pci-e slots, help

Kylo

Hi, So I have just bought this Z170 Krait Gaming motherboard and hooked up everything correctly. I have even taken it apart and put it back together multiple times. The problem with the motherboard is that no matter what I do the GPU is not detected. I have updated the BIOs, unplugged everything and back, tried all the slots on the mobo, looked in bios to see if there is a place to enable the slots if they are disabled? didnt find nothing, and also tried different GPU's. I cant even install the drivers because it doesnt detect the GPU. Could the slots be bad or is there something I need to do to enable it? Everything else works fine its just that.

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz 23 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1333MHz (16-18-18-35)
Motherboard
MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X (MS-7A11) (U3E1) 34 °C
Graphics
HP 23es (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA ) 28 °C
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 28 °C
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard
Manufacturer MSI
Model Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X (MS-7A11) (U3E1)
Version 1.0
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Skylake
Ram
Size 8192 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Part Number CM4B8G7L2666A16K2-
PSU:
EVGA 600W ATX 12v/EPS 12V 80plus PSU(100-W1-0600-K1)
GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW 4GB (04G-P4-2978-KR) <---- Not detecting.

Kylo

Are the 6/8 pin connectors from your PSU connected? Disabled any on-board integrated graphics in the bios?

The pin connectors are connected, yes. I have disabled any on-board intergrated graphics . It is set to PEG instead of IGD but it still doesnt show up for some reason. I disconnected it and set it back. It powers cause the fans spin.

Last edited:

UnholyVision

Any beeps or error codes on your motherboard? Have you tried different connection types like HDMI, DVI, or DP? You try different cables? Are you connecting to your video card or motherboards output? Any other machine you could test the GPU in?

Kylo

Any beeps or error codes on your motherboard? Have you tried different connection types like HDMI, DVI, or DP? You try different cables? Are you connecting to your video card or motherboards output? Any other machine you could test the GPU in?
I tried different GPU's if I connect the HDMI to the GPU I get no display but when its hooked to the mobo's HDMI I get display. I also cannot install the drivers cause NVIDIA says it doesnt detect a GPU. No beeps or error codes. The GPU's work in my system so I know they arent bad it was working on the old mobo I had in the other computer, but when switched to this new mobo it just doesnt show but everything else is fine except for the PCI-E slots. is it possible for none of the slots to work at all?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would rma the motherboard. There has to be something wrong with the pcie slots. If the video card works in another system then its something with the motherboard. Have you tried resetting cmos with the jumper? If that don't do anything rma the board.

UnholyVision

I tried different GPU's if I connect the HDMI to the GPU I get no display but when its hooked to the mobo's HDMI I get display. I also cannot install the drivers cause NVIDIA says it doesnt detect a GPU. No beeps or error codes. The GPU's work in my system so I know they arent bad it was working on the old mobo I had in the other computer, but when switched to this new mobo it just doesnt show but everything else is fine except for the PCI-E slots. is it possible for none of the slots to work at all?
If you did everything stated to try including the CMOS jumper, RMA that thing. Because it should be working at this point.