z5500 speakers with glass fuse

llcoolsu

The day i got my speakers i set them up to see if they work then i made the mistake of turning them off from the sub and the fuse blew..(common problem) iv replaced it with a glass fuse and has been working fine..but im scared when i turn them off from the main power switch (not the pod) will it blow again and what difference will it make if its a glass fuse?

PunterCam

It's common. The supplied fuse is about 2 or 2.5 amps, and it's not enough - the system draws more than that when you switch it on. Change it for a 3.15 amp fuse - been working fine for 3 months now, switched on and off every day.

A fuse is a fuse as far as I'm concerned, I've no idea what you mean by a 'glass' fuse, but whatever it is it's not gonna make a difference

llcoolsu

the fuse that comes with the speakers is a ceramic fuse...im using a glass one..and iv been told never to use anything but a 2amp time delay fuse?

Archangel

VIP Member
ceramic fuses and glass fuses pretty much work the same way. (the might be a difference in their speed, but I dont think that'll matter much on a speaker system)

PunterCam

I honestly can't think why there would be a difference, it's a bit of wire that does the work.

I meant to say slow blow/time-delay as well. 3.15amp. If you do the maths (and I can't remember the equasions) but taking its rms value of 505watts, a 2amp fuse covers 501watts I think it was. The peak power it can draw however is 1000watts, so I'm thinking surely that 2amp isn't enough.

You could use a 1000amp fuse and the speakers would be fine. The only reason you have a fuse is for when there's a surge in the mains supply, and surges just don't happen these days, or happen very very rarely.

3.15A seems to be spot on, it's completely safe. Also, the decoder is known to be quite fragile, so you don't want a fuse blowing on it and give it a jolt all the time.