Zalman Super Thermal Grease

The VCR King

I still have an entire tube of this stuff, it was used only once when I installed my CNPS9900MAX. It has the rubber end cap on the syringe. Will it stay fresh long enough to be re-used in a future build? I probably won't build a new PC til I graduate in 2020

beers

Staff member
It's like $5 at MC if it isn't good by then.

I still have some years old tubes of AS5 that work fine.

Darren

Staff member
It might settle out maybe after a while? Squeeze the first little bit onto a paper towel or something in case that happens rather than on a CPU.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I still have some years old tubes of AS5 that work fine.
AWW YEAH baby! AS5 club.

I still have a tube of AS5 too from many years ago. Still works after I recently installed the evga thermal mod for my 1080. Dropped my temps too.

Darren

Staff member
AWW YEAH baby! AS5 club.

I still have a tube of AS5 too from many years ago. Still works after I recently installed the evga thermal mod for my 1080. Dropped my temps too.
I've always been tempted to use the cheapo generic thermal paste I sell at work to see if it's much different than AS5 I usually use.

Calin

I have had a tube of AS5 in the past, but didn't notice much of a difference. Currently using MX2 (between the waterblock and IHS) and Coollaboratory Ultra (between the IHS and die) on my CPU and the paste that EK includes with their waterblocks on my 1080s. The only paste that ever made a noticeable difference to me was CLU when used between the IHS and the die, about 10c cooler than MX2.

mistersprinkles

AWW YEAH baby! AS5 club.

Aww yeah has to cure to reach max perf and its hard to work or wipe off and it's capacitive unlike MX4 and NTH1 which perform 1-2 degrees better and cost less. brap brap.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Aww yeah has to cure to reach max perf and its hard to work or wipe off and it's capacitive unlike MX4 and NTH1 which perform 1-2 degrees better and cost less. brap brap.
Green AS5 vs cured AS5 has a BARELY noticeable temp drop. It's also not even close to being hard to wipe off. If you want hard to clean off thermal compound, you buy IC Diamond stuff. The "very slightly" capacitive nature of the product is not a concern. That stuff shouldn't even be remotely close to two electrical paths. Don't try to over exaggerate them as major issues.

Cost less? They cost within 50 cents of each other when compared to the MX4 or NTH-1.