Zambezi will run on some ASUS AM3 Mobos!

2048Megabytes

The first Advanced Micro Devices Zambezi processors are supposed to be released April from what I hear. They are going to be using 28 nanometer technology. The first Bulldozer processors that are going to be released are the eight-cores then the six and quad-cores will come later correct?

Edit: Zambezi processors are going to use 32 nanometer technology.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
They are going to be using 28 nanometer technology.

32nm.

Dont really see how Zambezi is going to fit a AM3 socket, different pin count. Unless they are going to release two different Zambezi like they did with the Phenom II. The Phenom II 920/940 AM2+, then later the AM3.

Edit.
I checked this out. It doesnt fit AM3 boards. Manufactures are releasing new Revisions of AM3 boards with AM3+ sockets.

These are new revisions (3.1) of existing boards. Notice the AM3+ black CPU socket.
http://gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=10&p=2&v=2

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Thanks for the correction on the nanometers StrangleHold. That would be sweet if AMD released a few Zambezi processors for Socket AM3 motherboards.

ScottALot

I dont believe any release dates. AMD said the 2nd. quarter. So they have till the last day of June.

They seem to have postponed the release date ... I don't think they publicly announced that they were doing so, but the dates do seem to be inching their way into Q3 ... I've got mixed feelings about this because while it is a delay on a great product, I need a little more time to get my cash together :D

AM3+ Revisions on AM3 boards? Sounds iffy, I'm not going to get myself invested in something like that.

StrangleHold

Staff member
They seem to have postponed the release date ... I don't think they publicly announced that they were doing so, but the dates do seem to be inching their way into Q3 ... I've got mixed feelings about this because while it is a delay on a great product, I need a little more time to get my cash together :D.

Depends on which Bulldozer we are talking about. As far as I know the Desktop Zambezi is still on for by the end of the 2nd. quarter. Now the Server Opteron (what ever they end up calling it) wont be released till alittle later on in the 3rd. quarter.

AM3+ Revisions on AM3 boards? Sounds iffy, I'm not going to get myself invested in something like that.

I agree. I am going to wait till the 900 series chipsets. Bypass these AM3 800 series boards with a AM3+ socket

Edit

After reading some more on it. Looks like the possibility that even though the AM3+ socket has one extra pin hole. The Zambezi processor itself might not. So that would make it compatible with AM3 socket. Maybe the extra pin on the socket is for the next Bulldozer II.

Last edited: