Zelda

tlarkin

VIP Member
You could get a Nintendo Wii, which has the old original zelda as a download add on which you can play and the new one which is a really cool game.

DirtyD86

banned
"The current administratively-created exemptions, issued in November 2006, are:

Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace. (A renewed exemption, first approved in 2003.)"

it is 100% legal.

tlarkin

VIP Member
However, you are wrong, they are now readily available and legally can be purchased through Nintendo's online store on the Wii. So, the original hardware or media is no longer required.

Like I said, I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure both the original games publisher and Nintendo probably want their few dollars they are charging for ROM downloads.

dznutz

speaking of zelda i was never able to beat that gave until a couple of years ago when i got the rom. same goes for mario 2

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
speaking of zelda i was never able to beat that gave until a couple of years ago when i got the rom. same goes for mario 2

The original Zelda was one of the best games ever made.

Was I the only thinking 'WTF was that...' at the end of Mario 2? Take about a huge disappointment.

tlarkin

VIP Member
i guess i missed that part in the DMCA :rolleyes:

The whole, no longer available in the commercial market place clause leads me to believe since there are millions and millions of Wiis world wide that their online store is a very valid market place where you can buy the games legally, that you can not simply download them for free.

DirtyD86

banned
re-read that quote i posted. my interpretation of it is that if someone owns the original format and the system were to become obsolete and is no longer manufactured (which is true for the NES), then under these conditions it applies as an exception and would therefore be legal for download.

dznutz

The original Zelda was one of the best games ever made.

Was I the only thinking 'WTF was that...' at the end of Mario 2? Take about a huge disappointment.

if it's any consolation the japanese don't consider "mario 2" as part of the mario series. it was actually some other game but used mario characters. at the end i was also saying wtf.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
If OP were looking for a game more similar to current Zelda's, OOT, TP, Beyond Good and Evil is absolutely awesome and has been compared to Zelda, I've heard some call it Zelda for Adults (whatever that means).

It's awesome in any case.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Agree with newguy. Maybe I just didn't get a chance to play it at the beginning but my first real gaming memories were spent with OOT. It will forever be the best game ever in my opinion, a game that makes all the other "blockbuster" games feel like tripe in comparison. My mom played ocarina through, she isn't even a gamer!

I didn't like the original, maybe I was spoiled on it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
re-read that quote i posted. my interpretation of it is that if someone owns the original format and the system were to become obsolete and is no longer manufactured (which is true for the NES), then under these conditions it applies as an exception and would therefore be legal for download.

True and I see your point. The problem I have is with the whole DMCA that says you are not allowed to change platforms or media of anything with out consent of the manufacturer or IP owner. Now, this is totally not regulated since everyone rips their CDs to MP3s, but technically you are not allowed to do that via the DMCA.

So, now that the market has shifted and that you can legally pay or those old Nintendo game I am willing to bet it can be argued that you need to purchase them in that manner.

Like i said, I am not a lawyer and law is how you interpret it. I am just saying that so no one gets a false idea from this forum is all.

newguy5

Agree with newguy. Maybe I just didn't get a chance to play it at the beginning but my first real gaming memories were spent with OOT. It will forever be the best game ever in my opinion, a game that makes all the other "blockbuster" games feel like tripe in comparison. My mom played ocarina through, she isn't even a gamer!

I didn't like the original, maybe I was spoiled on it.

yeah, i agree. i don't even like to play single player games and in 10 years i've played it through twice now. i have an urge to do it again actually. i remember when it came out i was a sophmore in high school and it was a huge hit. everyone was playing it, buying it, talking about it, and i just had to get it.

will never regret it!

starcraft probably follows as my 2nd favorite game of all time, although that's definitely just for the multiplayer experience.