Zero the hard drive (windows 10 aniv)

Japanda

I had my terabyte hard drive and ssd (100gb) zero so I could sell my rig today but it's taking well over 24 hour.
I am assuming it is gonna take a while since I had about 400gb of games on my Tera and my ssd was full. Essentially I want to know when is it too long I should be concerned? All my screen says is restarting with the loading dots circling above it; is this a good sign? Method I used was windows 10 wipe process that's on the os originally.

beers

Staff member
How did you zero it from within the OS? You'd have to boot to a liveCD or similar to wipe all of the OS shenanigans that are locked/in-use.

It shouldn't take eons, usually you can divide your drive's capacity by its write rate to get a ballpark estimate.

ex, 1048576 MB (1 TiB) / (100 MB/sec /60 /60) = ~2.9 hours.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Even if you just use DBAN it should only take about 6-7 hours to do a one pass wipe.

Japanda

Even if you just use DBAN it should only take about 6-7 hours to do a one pass wipe.
So now that I know it's stuck what should I do just turn it off?

How did you zero it from within the OS? You'd have to boot to a liveCD or similar to wipe all of the OS shenanigans that are locked/in-use.

It shouldn't take eons, usually you can divide your drive's capacity by its write rate to get a ballpark estimate.

ex, 1048576 MB (1 TiB) / (100 MB/sec /60 /60) = ~2.9 hours.
Any ideas on what I should do now?

Last edited by a moderator:

strollin

Unless you have some super secret, critical data to keep from prying eyes (like the cure for cancer or something like that), I've never seen the need to use Dban like formatting on a drive prior to selling it. Most people's data on their hard drive isn't worth the effort it would take to extract it.