zip file associations - problems

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
hi everyone... got a little probelm, more of an nnoyance, here it is...

if i have a folder and want to make it into a ZIP file i do the following:

right click - send to - Compressed (zip) Folder (as shown below):

15dy.jpg

ok, ive done this for years, worked fine for years, but now..... i get this....

23yx2.jpg

if i click YES, which would be the natural thing to do if you read the message... the option in Send To - to put it into a zip archive is GONE!!! thanks windows...!!!!

i can now not get any zip files to work and all existing zip files have their icon as the default for windows not knowing what it is, changing FILE TPYE ALLOCATION thignies does nothign, i have to performa system restore to yesterday to get it back...

so, i start again, i go through it, get to the above message, this time i click NO, which doent make any sense to me, surely it should be YES. but anyway, i choose NO and it works perfectly, like it always did... example...:

46ed1.jpg

and if i now try to open it....:

32bp.jpg

it handles it perfectly damn fine, so why the hell is windows trying to get me to say YES and then it screws everything up, this is pissing me off. it started two days ago, i havent installed anything, i havent downloaded anything, and i havent performed any hardware changes....WTF is going on...!!!!

please help, cos im all out of ideas (execpt the old hammer bashing, stil gotta give that one a go)

dragon

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
because thats an extra prgram, takes up more resources, i want to be able to do it on the fly using windows, like i have done for many years before

dragon

Rip_Uk

Winrar compresses files better than it doe sin windows and i cant see it taking up too much system resources

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
im not worried about compressing files, i dont use it to make em smaller, i use it to make one convenient file for transfer purposes. and i didnt mean resources as in pure CPU hogging etc... jsut the fact that its another prgram, another one on the endlees list in "All Programs" can anyone help with my problem

dragon

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
which do you mean, boot up with the CD and go into the recovery console or run sfc.exe from the CD adn replace all system files??

dragon