ZIP files

patrickv

hey peeps, i've noticed that some people zip or rar files of like 4gb and what not and make them about 700mb ... how do they do it ?
I know how to compress big files into multiple small rar files thats ok.

any program in particular that can actually get the job done without shredding the main files into several bits ?

it's not that its needed i just wanna know

Kesava

If you really wanna compress files alot use KGB Archiver or something.
If your going really small then it can take a very long time to decompress.
So far I think KGB Archiver has the best compression ratio. Although how much it can compress depends on what your trying to compress.

patrickv

Winrar is a good one :)
I already have that, maybe i'm not doing it right but winrar hasn't shown me
what compression really means

neat.. do you know if it can do what i was referring to ?

If you really wanna compress files alot use KGB Archiver or something.
If your going really small then it can take a very long time to decompress.
So far I think KGB Archiver has the best compression ratio. Although how much it can compress depends on what your trying to compress.

ah, exactly, the compression ratio i was referring to. I will look into it

Kesava

If I am correct, 7-Zip is like second as far as compression ratio's go. But from what I have seen and from personal experience, KGB does it better.

brian

VIP Member
yeah 7-zip can do it i think (havent messed around too much with it) but there are many other neet features like decompress exe files etc

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
But from what I have seen and from personal experience, KGB does it better.
Soviet much?

*rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-kaboom-tat-tat-click*

You'll NEVER invade CF! NEVER! Mwuah-huah-huah-haaa...

patrickv

well ive been trying 7zip now, i want to squeeze an mp3 file but seems am doing it wrong, the mp3 is 10mb and the output remains 10mb lol, what am i doing wrong

Kesava

We'll I'm not sure which files work well and which dont, but If im zipping a big folder full of stuff it works great. But single files wont always compress much.

You have changed the settings so it compresses to the max right?

patrickv

We'll I'm not sure which files work well and which dont, but If im zipping a big folder full of stuff it works great. But single files wont always compress much.

You have changed the settings so it compresses to the max right?

well i removed 7zip and installed KGB. I put the settings on Ultra and it told me my computer does not have enough memory..lol, i was doing in on a VM with 256mb.. i will install on my machine and let u know

patrickv

i will be back in a decade :p

lol, this is funny it took like 9mins to compress a 10mb mp3 , and the output file is 9.9mb :mad: .. that sucks, Winrar does that in less than the amout kgb took, wtf ?
and the method was extreme :rolleyes:

edit :
122nij8.jpg

^^^ that looks gay to me :D

si this is gonna take more than my physical memory ? lol

Last edited:

brian

VIP Member
lol, it is possable that is is just not compresable, if it is in mp3, then chances are it is compresed fully already

patrickv

lol, it is possable that is is just not compresable, if it is in mp3, then chances are it is compresed fully already

Yeah man i was thinking the same, it's just an audio and maybe compressing it might not work. I will try on other files

Kesava

Yeah KGB is crazy. There is microsoft office 2007 available (illegally) that is 1.5 mb haha.
Takes overnight to decompress, and doesnt always work, but sometimes it does. thats a huge compression haha. I actually dont see how that can be possible, but it does work.

tremmor

A lot of files are like that. theres nothing there to compress. Pictures or jpg do not compress. ascii or text and many others will be two time fold. movies do not compress.