Zyxel 660 configure

ejenner

I have a Zyxel 660 and I also have a hardware firewall. I want the hardware firewall to be visible on the internet with it's own public IP address. I want to use the firewall to protect my network and to handle my routing in and out of the internet.

At the moment the Zyxel is allowing me out to access the Internet but it is not allowing my firewall to be visible to the internet.

I worked out how to configure this before, so I know it can be done, but lost my configuration when I forgot the password and had to reset. Can't remember how to do it now.

Anyone familar with the Zyxel configuration methods? Essentially what I want is a no-nat configuration so the Zyxel only authenticates with the ISP and interfaces with the DSL network. I want my firewall to do the rest. I know they have a simple tick-box in the software to turn NAT off, but it's not that easy.

ejenner

Got the answer now :D

Embarrassingly, I felt the only way to solve this was to phone Zyxel tech support.

They gave me the answer pretty easily although the first tech I spoke to had to put me on hold to ask a colleague which made me feel slightly less stupid.

Since I have the answer I have now remembered this was what I had to do before to make it work in the past.

With a range of static IP's you are able to assign the router's IP (which is designated by the ISP) to the DSL interface. You need to assign another of the public IP's to the LAN interface of the router and then turn off NAT. On the hardware firewall you specify the public IP assigned to the routers LAN interface as your default gateway.

All traffic headding for servers behind your firewall should then be directed to the public IP assigned to the firewalls external interface. The firewall then routes that traffic through to your private network as you have configured.