mac is better than pc, proven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibretto

VIP Member
Let me give an example of what I am talking about and I'm probably totally wasting my time with this because this thread is turning into a flame war.

If you have ever seen the Office TV show, Dunder Mifflin is a failing paper company. Why? Because there prices are being beaten by bigger paper companies. Yeah sure Dunder Mifflin has better customer service and there products are the same if not better quality than the bigger paper companies, but it comes down to sales and how many customers you have. Dunder Mifflin might be a better paper company than the bigger companies, but they are failing because of their lack of customers and sales.

I hope I worded that right.

tlarkin

VIP Member
how many mac users do you know that actually know how to use all of the features? not to say that ALL mac users are dumb, but i can definitly tell that some idiots are just on the mac bandwagon because its "the hip thing to do".

even you cant tell me im wrong.

Let me break it down to you so you can wrap this around your brain. Apple has roughly 9 to 10 percent market share. So 1 out of 10 computer owners buys a Mac. Now consider most people don't know about Macintosh computers and some of them don't even know they really exist. So that 1 out of 10 people who bought a Mac probably did some research and is probably slightly more educated on the pros and cons of owning a Mac over a PC.

Apple, circa 2001 had less than 3% market share. So since the debut of OS X, and the boom of the Apple products, and their marketing they went from less than 3% to just under 10% in 8 years. In a market totally controlled and dominated by Microsoft run computers.

How many PC users know every feature of Windows?

JTM

Let me break it down to you so you can wrap this around your brain. Apple has roughly 9 to 10 percent market share. So 1 out of 10 computer owners buys a Mac. Now consider most people don't know about Macintosh computers and some of them don't even know they really exist. So that 1 out of 10 people who bought a Mac probably did some research and is probably slightly more educated on the pros and cons of owning a Mac over a PC.

Apple, circa 2001 had less than 3% market share. So since the debut of OS X, and the boom of the Apple products, and their marketing they went from less than 3% to just under 10% in 8 years. In a market totally controlled and dominated by Microsoft run computers.

How many PC users know every feature of Windows?

I actually know most of the features of Vista etc. :). The bottom line is preference.

You are taking the "Mac" argument way out of proportion. Macs are over priced, it's a Linux/Unix operating system with quirks. I can get the same enjoyment out of Ubuntu as I can OSX.

Windows is a far superior platform for many reasons. Windows has the majority of the market share and was there first. Windows makes good products, and the control the gaming platform much more flawlessly (by the way I guarantee COD 4 can run just as good on PC as it can on a Mac).

The reason many people "hate" Microsoft is because of what you said earlier, it's a much wider known platform and it's more "open source" if you will, anyone can code, write, and develop hardware for it. With conditions like that it's impossible for Microsoft to keep up with all the bad remarks. For example take Vista, some hardware was incompatible and people were mad at MS for this, even when they had a tool to test compatibility. In reality they should have been mad at Asus, Realtek, etc. Microsoft is allowing the third party companies to come in and add to the excitement of owning a PC.

Mac does have the platform very safe and sleek. It runs smooth and looks nice, but there is no reason to have one over the other. Mac may manage well and have some little "ooohs and aaaahs" but when all is said in done, it's a preference.

I would rather have a computer I can upgrade over the years and customize to my liking, and have the ability to have a true PC experience with no limitations. Apple doesn't offer this, they offer a way for users to set up and have no worries, and that isn't the platform for everyone.

Sorry if this is long and unorganized but I had to vent. Whoever argues this further is ridiculous. Mac is nice, and if you want a one shot setup then it's for you. Windows is for the mainstream including those who don't know it and those who want to hack it, mod it, and learn it.

I write this from Mac OSX so please don't tell me I'm biased :). I'd take a 1,000 dollar PC over the 1,000 Apple PC and have a lot more power and enjoyment!

ZeroWing

i bet you some people will actually believe this and bring it up in any future mac vs pc discussions. Mac is playing unfair.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I actually know most of the features of Vista etc. :). The bottom line is preference.

You are taking the "Mac" argument way out of proportion. Macs are over priced, it's a Linux/Unix operating system with quirks. I can get the same enjoyment out of Ubuntu as I can OSX.

Windows is a far superior platform for many reasons. Windows has the majority of the market share and was there first. Windows makes good products, and the control the gaming platform much more flawlessly (by the way I guarantee COD 4 can run just as good on PC as it can on a Mac).

The reason many people "hate" Microsoft is because of what you said earlier, it's a much wider known platform and it's more "open source" if you will, anyone can code, write, and develop hardware for it. With conditions like that it's impossible for Microsoft to keep up with all the bad remarks. For example take Vista, some hardware was incompatible and people were mad at MS for this, even when they had a tool to test compatibility. In reality they should have been mad at Asus, Realtek, etc. Microsoft is allowing the third party companies to come in and add to the excitement of owning a PC.

Mac does have the platform very safe and sleek. It runs smooth and looks nice, but there is no reason to have one over the other. Mac may manage well and have some little "ooohs and aaaahs" but when all is said in done, it's a preference.

I would rather have a computer I can upgrade over the years and customize to my liking, and have the ability to have a true PC experience with no limitations. Apple doesn't offer this, they offer a way for users to set up and have no worries, and that isn't the platform for everyone.

Sorry if this is long and unorganized but I had to vent. Whoever argues this further is ridiculous. Mac is nice, and if you want a one shot setup then it's for you. Windows is for the mainstream including those who don't know it and those who want to hack it, mod it, and learn it.

I write this from Mac OSX so please don't tell me I'm biased :). I'd take a 1,000 dollar PC over the 1,000 Apple PC and have a lot more power and enjoyment!

Macs are not over priced. Read my thread about the Macintosh Platform. They are just higher end computers. It would be like buying a Bentley over a KIA. Sure both go 80 MPH from point A to point B, but the Bentley does it in style and has every freaking feature you would want and would never use in it.

Droogie

Macs are not over priced. Read my thread about the Macintosh Platform. They are just higher end computers. It would be like buying a Bentley over a KIA. Sure both go 80 MPH from point A to point B, but the Bentley does it in style and has every freaking feature you would want and would never use in it.

higher end compared to what? just prebuilt PC's?

JTM

How are they not over priced? I have the choice of whatever hardware I want in my PC, which gives me bargaining power (brand over brand). I however have no choice with that on a Mac. Macs are overpriced in the hardware OS aspect. They may provide you with more satisfaction, but they are overpriced.

I can build a computer for any price tag that a Mac has and it will be better, those are just facts tlarkin.:)

tlarkin

VIP Member
higher end compared to what? just prebuilt PC's?

I gotta run to a meeting and eat lunch since I didn't eat today, go back and reread my thread I have dedicated to how they should be compared. I clearly explain it, you can post any questions regarding what I say in that thread and I will answer them.

tlarkin

VIP Member
How are they not over priced? I have the choice of whatever hardware I want in my PC, which gives me bargaining power (brand over brand). I however have no choice with that on a Mac. Macs are overpriced in the hardware OS aspect. They may provide you with more satisfaction, but they are overpriced.

I can build a computer for any price tag that a Mac has and it will be better, those are just facts tlarkin.:)

That is because you can't build a PC spec for spec to a Mac with out it almost costing the same freaking thing.

gamerman4

It's funny how when Microsoft adds features they are accused of adding extra bloat, when Apple does this, those are extra "features".
I assume this is why Microsoft is slimming down their OS, Windows 7 FTW!

Apple has created the "spec for spec" argument, as long as they don't give you options to change what is already there then the "spec for spec" argument is valid because no one can actually know how much those parts are and they will only assume they are "high quality" and must cost twice as much.

Last edited:

JTM

That is because you can't build a PC spec for spec to a Mac with out it almost costing the same freaking thing.

That is so false. Have you ever been on Newegg? I can get more of a setup for the same amount of money as a Mac. Don't even say it's not possible.

Gooberman

Lol, I've had people call their comupters a CPU sad really.
mac's are a bit overpriced for what you get but you also get a nice 22" screen(usually) :)

DirtyD86

banned
the thing that disgusts me is mac has turned using a computer into a fashion statement. they market their products as being progressive, green, and new age and rarely mention a damn word about the specifics of the computer itself. the ad campaign worked because the general public are complete morons. microsoft noticed this, and was forced to start doing the same thing in order to keep a lead on macs. now we have ads like this:

black_hotness2.jpg

this isn't an actual ad but it is a clone of all the others you have seen.

it's dripping with hipness... it makes me sick to know this ad is for a COMPUTER. in a nutshell apple has made it about trendiness and fashion and less about the hardware itself. this is the main reason why i hate apple.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
That guy made a fool of himself.

But again, general public doesn't know stuff. Like open source programs and the like. There are people out there that don't even know what operating system they're using.

Calibretto

VIP Member
But again, general public doesn't know stuff. Like open source programs and the like. There are people out there that don't even know what operating system they're using.

and the general public is where the most sales are, so that's how companies approach all of this.

tlarkin

VIP Member
That is so false. Have you ever been on Newegg? I can get more of a setup for the same amount of money as a Mac. Don't even say it's not possible.

Then build me an exact replica spec for spec of a Mac. Mac mini, you can't get a computer that powerful that small, even shuttle PCs are over twice the size. iMac, is the best bet. Desktop plus LCD monitor, match all the specs and make sure they match, then compare the prices.

As for the Mac Pro, go to Dell and try to build a dual xeon work station spec for spec for the same price.

Then get back to me. MAKE SURE you use the same parts and the same specs and it has the same features. You will be able to find a PC equivalent part for every Mac part out there, and yes I have a $6,000 preferred customer account with newegg.

Calibretto

VIP Member
Then build me an exact replica spec for spec of a Mac. Mac mini, you can't get a computer that powerful that small, even shuttle PCs are over twice the size. iMac, is the best bet. Desktop plus LCD monitor, match all the specs and make sure they match, then compare the prices.

As for the Mac Pro, go to Dell and try to build a dual xeon work station spec for spec for the same price.

Then get back to me. MAKE SURE you use the same parts and the same specs and it has the same features. You will be able to find a PC equivalent part for every Mac part out there, and yes I have a $6,000 preferred customer account with newegg.
This should be interesting :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
There was a time that Mac stuff was a lot more for what you get but right now you're right, for what you are getting in a Mac it's a pretty good deal.

I would agrue that most of the people who buy a Mac for $2500 are buying way more hardware than they need though. It's like buying a new HD TV to play an old NES on.

Status
Not open for further replies.