*POST YOUR TABLET OR PHONE HERE*

FuryRosewood

Samsung Galaxy Note 4, with Android 5.1.1 and a Zerolemon 10,000 mAh battery. I can get 4-5 days out of the battery on this thing, with gaming. Nothing really to write home about, i think between the note 3 and note 4, they are about the same, both good phones, definitely worth using but, will not blow your shorts off.

Laptop is a Dell Insprion 15 7559, with 4k Screen, 8 gigs ram (another 8 gig stick on way), Core i7 6700HQ CPU, Geforce GTX960M and Intel 530 for graphics, 1TB HDD with 8Gb Flash for cache (adding Samsung 850 240gb SSD in m.2 slot), battery is a 74Wh unit, and on conservative settings that don't use the discrete GPU I can get 10 hours out of this thing, if not more. Very impressed with this unit. I currently feel if you need some graphics power, and dont mind the weight of the laptop, because it is a tad heavy, get this, especially for what I ended up paying, a little over a grand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=dell_insprion_7559-_-34-297-022-_-Product

spirit

Staff member
Thinking about the Lumia 930 as my next smartphone.

Mentioned to Dad today that my Lumia 925 is basically giving up as a phone but I'd live with it until I get a job and can afford a new phone or I'd just use one of my other phones (probably the Lumia 625 but I'd put Windows Phone 8.1 back on it, or the S3 Mini. My Lumia 710 with Windows Phone 7.8 on it is probably too old to be using as a 'daily driver' now). He said he might buy a 950 and then I can have his black 930 which is in very good condition because he takes care of his phones.

Or I might get one off a friend of mine. He's got an orange one, looks like it's in good condition. He's considering getting an iPhone and I said I'd buy his 930 off him if he did and if I could afford it. Really don't want to pay more than about £100 for it though. It's still a really nice phone but it is 2 years old and probably not worth much more than about £100 now.

But obviously I'd prefer to get Dad's for free. :D

All of my phones apart from the first three have been hand-me-downs or bought cheap.

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about the Lumia 930 as my next smartphone.

Mentioned to Dad today that my Lumia 925 is basically giving up as a phone but I'd live with it until I get a job and can afford a new phone or I'd just use one of my other phones (probably the Lumia 625 but I'd put Windows Phone 8.1 back on it, or the S3 Mini. My Lumia 710 with Windows Phone 7.8 on it is probably too old to be using as a 'daily driver' now). He said he might buy a 950 and then I can have his black 930 which is in very good condition because he takes care of his phones.

Or I might get one off a friend of mine. He's got an orange one, looks like it's in good condition. He's considering getting an iPhone and I said I'd buy his 930 off him if he did and if I could afford it. Really don't want to pay more than about £100 for it though. It's still a really nice phone but it is 2 years old and probably not worth much more than about £100 now.

But obviously I'd prefer to get Dad's for free. :D

All of my phones apart from the first three have been hand-me-downs or bought cheap.
I think you should wait for the free hand me down, cause nothing beats free, and free is the only way I'd ever use a windows phone.

spirit

Staff member
I think you should wait for the free hand me down, cause nothing beats free, and free is the only way I'd ever use a windows phone.
Hahaha well free is the only way I'd ever use Android or iOS so there. Even then I'd sell it and buy a Windows Phone. :p

But yeah I'm going to wait and see. Funny thing is barely ever use my 925 as a 'phone' so it's not a huge deal, but I booted up my old 625 yesterday and found it actually had a completely fresh install of 10 on it. Seems to run fine so if my 925 does eventually irritate me I will use the 625 until I get something better. Probably a 930 or a 950. :D

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha well free is the only way I'd ever use Android or iOS so there. Even then I'd sell it and buy a Windows Phone. :p

But yeah I'm going to wait and see. Funny thing is barely ever use my 925 as a 'phone' so it's not a huge deal, but I booted up my old 625 yesterday and found it actually had a completely fresh install of 10 on it. Seems to run fine so if my 925 does eventually irritate me I will use the 625 until I get something better. Probably a 930 or a 950. :D
how much are these microsoft people paying you? I could change my tune for some microsoft cash :p
I have never used windows mobile, but I asked a friend who works in IT and gets forced to use one for work, and he said it was rubbish. And from a personal standpoint, I could never get past that tile screen homepage. They are so stupid for holding on to that and trying to be different, if they wanted to take market share from a position of being the underdog, they should have tried to be like android/ios in appearance. They dont understand human nature and the power of habit and how people essentially dont like different things to what they are accustomed to. And it shows in their poor market share. It wouldnt have happened if Bill Gates was in charge.
I admit I considered a surface pro for my next tablet, but trying to use them in a few shops, everything was buggy as hell and crashed, put me right off them. The android tablets worked flawlessly.

spirit

Staff member
how much are these microsoft people paying you? I could change my tune for some microsoft cash :p
I have never used windows mobile, but I asked a friend who works in IT and gets forced to use one for work, and he said it was rubbish. And from a personal standpoint, I could never get past that tile screen homepage. They are so stupid for holding on to that and trying to be different, if they wanted to take market share from a position of being the underdog, they should have tried to be like android/ios in appearance. They dont understand human nature and the power of habit and how people essentially dont like different things to what they are accustomed to. And it shows in their poor market share. It wouldnt have happened if Bill Gates was in charge.
I admit I considered a surface pro for my next tablet, but trying to use them in a few shops, everything was buggy as hell and crashed, put me right off them. The android tablets worked flawlessly.
How much is Google paying you for banging on about Android so much then? ;) Nothing I bet, and same here: they're not paying me a penny. I owned Windows Phones before I even got involved with Microsoft anyway and it looks like my association with Microsoft could be ending soon. I'll still buy Windows. Always preferred them to Android and iOS.

Believe me, if I got paid by them I wouldn't be using a 3 year old Lumia 925 that I didn't even pay for myself. ;) I'd be using a top of the range Lumia 950 or 950 XL. ;) :D

Android isn't for me and Windows isn't for you. I couldn't care less about market share, the fact is that I like what they do. I use their phones because I like them, not to fit in with everybody else or because they have a high market share. I'm not trying to get people to buy one, I'm just saying that I like them and personally wouldn't choose to use anything else on a daily basis and whilst I don't have a problem with Android or iOS, I just have always preferred Windows (and yes, I do own an Android handset and yes I have had experience with Android phones, S3, S4, S5 and Note 3 now as well as Apple too).

One reason I want the 930 is for the camera and let's not also forget it is a gorgeous phone, extremely well-built and looks fantastic. 20 MP shooting in DNG, here are some shots I've taken on Dad's 930: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/albums/72157653146696254 and my aging 925 that only shoots JPEG in fairly low quality ain't bad either: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbrown2013/albums/72157659691808943

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I was joking about the paying comment, thats why I put the :p after it, and I know how you went on the defensive last time somebody said it.
Actually google has paid me and given me free food on a couple of occasions, nice people, but I wouldn't use a chromeos laptop or desktop. I used to use ios and was a bit reluctant to switch to android, but after the note 4, I doubt I would ever go back to ios. I am by my own admission a samsung note fanboi.
I am mostly joking, my motto is each to their own, I think its all a matter of personal preference.

spirit

Staff member
I was joking about the paying comment, thats why I put the :p after it, and I know how you went on the defensive last time somebody said it.
Actually google has paid me and given me free food on a couple of occasions, nice people, but I wouldn't use a chromeos laptop or desktop. I used to use ios and was a bit reluctant to switch to android, but after the note 4, I doubt I would ever go back to ios. I am by my own admission a samsung note fanboi.
I am mostly joking, my motto is each to their own, I think its all a matter of personal preference.
Hahahaha ok. :p Yeah I don't get paid or given food by Microsoft, or expensive smartphones. :(

I might just go and preach about Google. Could do with free food. :D

But yeah I agree, you just need to use what you like using. At the moment the apps I want are on Windows too and the app store is getting bigger with the birth of Universal Apps, but if it goes the same way as BlackBerry is going and developers stop supporting it all together then yeah I would migrate to Android. :)

FuryRosewood

God just got the SSD installed in the Inspiron, and it screams, boots in about 10 seconds, and just does everything I need... Makes me glad I did not grab a surface, I can live with this, and if i need more storage...I can upgrade again :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
God just got the SSD installed in the Inspiron, and it screams, boots in about 10 seconds, and just does everything I need... Makes me glad I did not grab a surface, I can live with this, and if i need more storage...I can upgrade again :)
They make quite a difference don't they :)

spirit

Staff member
Nice one. I still feel that an SSD is the single best upgrade you can do! The Surfaces are very quick too but if you already owned the Inspiron and just wanted a faster machine then yeah you saved a lot of money buy just getting an SSD. :D

Origin Saint

I'll be very literal here :D Everything I post, I have currently on-hand, and is operable still!

First phone circa 2003-ish from a Dollar General near my childhood town...

The Nokia 1100:

TF1100R4.jpg
lovely, I know. Snake was so much fun back then ;)

The next phone I owned was about 2006/7-ish, the ever notorious...

Motorola Razr V3m (Verizon version):

mov3_00.jpg

Moved on to bigger and better things around 2010,

LG Chocolate Touch, one of the first touch-screen phones!

LG_Chocolate_Touch.jpg

Then I got serious in 2012/13-ish,

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, biggest smartphone battery-life of the time:

Droid-Razr-Maxx.jpg

Finally, my current beau, since late 2014, early 2015,

Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation):

Pic is exactly the same except the two "speaker" parts and small bezel around the 'M' logo on the rear of mine are in gold.

136824d1410890233t-moto-x-2014-show-off-your-design-screen-shot-2014-09-16-10.56.23-am.png

Next I suppose I'll show off my amazing tablet,

Verizon Ellipsis 7:

This thing is so slow it lags opening the notification drawer, needless to say, it's a dusty paperweight (it was a gift).
elp7.jpg

I've only owned two laptops:

HP G56-129WM (Walmart edition, this was a short-lived gift as well):

This thing had a whopping 3 GB of RAM, a 5,400 rpm 300 GB HDD, no discrete graphics, a 768p display, and a single-core Intel Celeron.
c03211304.png

More recently, in 2012, I got a new laptop, that I'm replacing this summer:

HP ENVY DV6-7214nr (specs in signature for those interested):

hpENVYdv6_2.png

It's so fun owning all my old stuff that is kind of junk at this point, but they're fun to reminisce on and play with. :D

Geoff

VIP Member
I was going to ask why in the world you would have bought a Verizon Ellipsis tablet lol.

FuryRosewood

Nice one. I still feel that an SSD is the single best upgrade you can do! The Surfaces are very quick too but if you already owned the Inspiron and just wanted a faster machine then yeah you saved a lot of money buy just getting an SSD. :D
The inspiron was a faster and cheaper machine than the surface 4, even with the 4k screen and i7 upgrade i spent less than 1200 bucks on it, and it has a dedicated graphics card as well, only downside is its a little bulky, but that does not bother me.

Darren

Staff member
I've been using an LG Optimus G Pro for about a year and a half now.

It's a decent phone and considering its age I'm fairly happy with it. Sadly I'm stuck on 4.4.2 and don't anticipate that changing. Camera kinda sucks, GPS receiver is flat non functional a lot of the time, and the battery life varies from meh to terrible, but I make do. 90% of its usage is reddit and Spotify so I don't mind too much. Hoping to replace it with an LG G4 soon. The screen looks pretty good and the notification LED is the home button, which is kinda cool I guess. It still runs pretty well overall though and was definitely a better phone than my Galaxy S3 that it replaced.

lg-optimus-g-pro-e980.jpg

spirit

Staff member
@Origin Saint I remember the original LG Chocolate (the KG800) was the 'utimate' show off phone to have back when I was in Year 7 (11-12 years old) in 2009. Even then it was an old phone (about 2 or 3 years old I think) but it was still one of the coolest phones to own. One of my (rich!) friends had a Samsung Tocco Ultra S8300 and that was just the envy of the whole class really. :D Back then no 12 year old had a smartphone, apart from him. He told me he begged his parents to buy it for him. :p

Darren

Staff member
I'm really liking my new LG G4. Camera is amazing, screen looks great, very snappy, decent (not stellar) battery life, and a surprisingly high quality feel. Blows my LG Optimus G Pro clean out of the water in pretty much every way except screen, but that's because the G Pro had an incredibly good screen for its time.

The phones apparently have a somewhat common bootlooping issue due to a loose connection on the motherboard. They sometimes get stuck rebooting for a long time or indefinitely. LG is replacing phones with the problem but I hear of some people that get it on multiple phones. I'm a bit leery of that happening to me but if it does I'll deal. It was cheap enough I took the risk and the later manufactured versions don't have it as much (yet).

LG-G4-Black-Model-3.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm really liking my new LG G4. Camera is amazing, screen looks great, very snappy, decent (not stellar) battery life, and a surprisingly high quality feel. Blows my LG Optimus G Pro clean out of the water in pretty much every way except screen, but that's because the G Pro had an incredibly good screen for its time.

The phones apparently have a somewhat common bootlooping issue due to a loose connection on the motherboard. They sometimes get stuck rebooting for a long time or indefinitely. LG is replacing phones with the problem but I hear of some people that get it on multiple phones. I'm a bit leery of that happening to me but if it does I'll deal. It was cheap enough I took the risk and the later manufactured versions don't have it as much (yet).

LG-G4-Black-Model-3.jpg
Did you get the black leather version?

Darren

Staff member
Did you get the black leather version?

Yup! Immediately put it in a case though. This one.
http://www.amazon.com/TUDIA-Ultra-M...461861847&sr=8-2&keywords=tpu+case+lg+g4+blue

Also have a tempered glass screen protector on it. Which I highly recommend to anyone.

The case itself actually feels relatively high quality since it's nice and form fitting and the texture is matte feeling that isn't really slippery or overly grippy. I opted for the leather since I figured if I ever wanted to sell it or use it without a case it would look better. I've had enough plastic smartphones between the Galaxy S3 and the G Pro.