The best of the best PC

joh06937

Is it possible to 'Tri-Fire' via a 5870 with 1 5970?

Edit: I'm reading that you can X-fire any 2 ATI cards but that the cards will automatically be set to the clock speed that is the slower of the 2 cards. Does that sound right?

yeah but you can overclock a 5970 to the 5870s specs easily. you can tri-fire them.

computeruler

Unless they improved drivers, anything over 3 just helps with the minimum fps and only a small average and max fps gain. Maybe things changed?

joh06937

Unless they improved drivers, anything over 3 just helps with the minimum fps and only a small average and max fps gain. Maybe things changed?

i actually don't know. haven't checked crossfire benches with the newer/newest drivers in a while...

Russ88765

Phenom II x6 is pointless for a gaming rig. No games utilize hex core fully yet, and when they do Thuban will be outdated.

If it has to be a six core, i'd get the cheaper version. AMD's are hella good for gaming from what i've seen.

Aastii

VIP Member
If it has to be a six core, i'd get the cheaper version. AMD's are hella good for gaming from what i've seen.

I'm not saying AMDs aren't good for gaming, I know that they are, what I'm saying is you will see no performance increase with a hex core over a quad core in near enough every game, because they aren't coded for 6 + cores, heck most only utilize 3 at the moment. It would be better to save money and go for a 955

@computeruler, unless you get unlucky and get a bad chip, just about any CPU will hit 4GHz and beyond on air