What Web Browser Do You Use?

What Web Browser Do You Use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

loque

The college computers have Firefox installed, and it's the default browser I believe. First school I've ever been to that had it installed :)
I was quite surprised when I found my university has Firefox installed. IE is the default though.

SirKenin

banned
IE7 has an anti-phishing feature as well.

Anyways, I posted this already, but the long and short of it is this. I did some tests with the three browsers and a bunch of antivirus programs. I have a particular website that is chock full of autoloading spyware, virii and malware, as well as every download pretty much being infected as well. Crappy site for the average user, but excellent for me.

All three browsers let all of it pass. None of them blocked any of it. Only Avast! detects these threats and blocks them. It will actually shut down the webpage and the server will then disconnect.

The point? ActiveX is no longer THE threat and all three browsers are vulnerable to serious infections. Therefore, there is absolutely no sense crippling the web by viewing it with Opera or Firefox because neither one can protect you. Not to mention that Firefox renders webpages the slowest of the three and it screws up webpages because they are either coded for IE, which is most often the case, or because they utilize ActiveX.

Get IE7, coupled with Avast! and PrevX1, and you will be in fine shape.

Rambo

well ok then, maybe im just retarted and cant't tell the difference.....:p

Maybe.... :p

There are FireFox speed enhancements you can use to speed it up (apparently). Were any tests done after these tweaks? Just interested to see how well they work :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Tweaks can make it "appear" to laod faster, as far as I know.

In FF's "about:config" window you can adjust settings that control how long the browser waits until it displays the information it receives, or the number of requests it sends/receives from certain connections. Compared to defaults you could possibly have it appear faster and not wait, but it depends on your connection speed. If your line can handle send/receiving 50 requests at once, but you've only got it set to send 5...well you're limiting yourself. But in the same respect, if you set it to 1000 and your line only can receive say 20...well that's just pointless. Thats why alot of the "guides" for tweaking FireFox are useless, the settings are completely dependent on your computer/connection. There is no "one size fits all" for browser tweaking.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I am switching back to Ubuntu as soon as this laptop is officially mine and I can re-partition it. While I'm at home I have to keep the warranty in place, so no foreign operating systems allowed :( I like Ubuntu.

circledancer

I use Firefox, I have never had any problems with it and I like the tabbed browsing and bookmarks features. I keep my extensions down, I use Adblock Plus and Adblock Filterset G updater, Gmail skins,Gmail Notifier, Fission, Image toolbar and Del.icio.us.
Works for me.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Tweaks can make it "appear" to laod faster, as far as I know.

In FF's "about:config" window you can adjust settings that control how long the browser waits until it displays the information it receives, or the number of requests it sends/receives from certain connections. Compared to defaults you could possibly have it appear faster and not wait, but it depends on your connection speed. If your line can handle send/receiving 50 requests at once, but you've only got it set to send 5...well you're limiting yourself. But in the same respect, if you set it to 1000 and your line only can receive say 20...well that's just pointless. Thats why alot of the "guides" for tweaking FireFox are useless, the settings are completely dependent on your computer/connection. There is no "one size fits all" for browser tweaking.
Do you know the specific line/setting to adjust? I'd love to play with this.
Tom

4W4K3

VIP Member
Do you know the specific line/setting to adjust? I'd love to play with this.
Tom

There is a TON you can do, but the very basics are...wel let's jsut link to a "guide" that kind of explains each setting.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650

That one is pretty good, explaisn alot.

More reading - http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8004

I jsut use a program called "FasterFox" that "does everything for you". From what I can tell, it tunes it jsut as wel as I could in a fraction of the time. At first its fun to mess around with but after a while I hate re-setting everything and FasterFox does the job well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.