$1,200 CDN build (or does it matter?)

swchoi89

*Edited Aug-21-2012
Hi guys,

I live in Canada and about to spend around $1,200 for my new gaming rig.

I want to thank those who already helped me out before (special thanks to vistakid).

CPU: i5-3570K

GPU: GTX 670 (EVGA GTX 670 FTW)

RAM: I'm just going for G.Skill
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1034

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 ( I think 256GB is enough for me)
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59355&vpn=VTX3-25SAT3-240G&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1034

CASE: Lexa S

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77

Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212

PSU: OCZ Gold Certified 850W

Boy... prices really add up so quick! But it should come around $1200. Please let me know if I can save/upgrade for a better price in any of the above mentioned parts.

I appreciate your interest and time!!

Last edited:

mtb211

For the SSD I might go crucial m4, and then I might add a second Seagate 7200 Hard Drive

as for cooling im not an expert... I use stock but I don't overclock... My CPU never overheats.... buy some artic silver.... But aftermarket heatsinks will keep it cooler for sure

swchoi89

Thanks mtb211.

Any particular reason for Crucial M4 over the OCZ Vertex3 series?

(And I do like that motherboard! But if the extra $140 won't give me the appropriate boost in performance, I might reconsider :D)

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Thanks mtb211.

Any particular reason for Crucial M4 over the OCZ Vertex3 series?

(And I do like that motherboard! But if the extra $140 won't give me the appropriate boost in performance, I might reconsider :D)

I would say the vertex 4...

spirit

Staff member
700W will be fine, but if you're not planning on getting any more video cards 600W will do that 670 fine.

If you want a good looking NZXT case for 100-150 look at the Phantom.

An aftermarket cooler can reduce your noise, but usually people buy them when overclocking their CPUs -are you going to be overclocking that 3570K at all?

If you want my recommendation for a Z77 board, look at the GA-Z77X-D3H and GA-Z77X-UD3H boards from Gigabyte.

swchoi89

OK, set on Gigabyte motherboard, how about RAM? does it account for big differences in performance (say gaming?)

I'll most likely to get 700W to be safe, and EVGA for GTX.

Benny Boy

Which mb?
If you edit the OP with your changes it helps to keep up and things don't get lost in the thread. Just a suggestion :) :good:

For memory 1.5v 1600 @ 9-9-9 is a good way to go. Games very well.

600w is already plenty. Since the ps is the most important part, what 700w you looking at? Unless its a top of the line 700watter you can move up in quality w/600w, still have plenty, and not spend more.

Jiniix

My suggestions:

GPU: Get the Windforce X3 from Gigabyte. My friend has it, and it's dead quiet and keeps cool at 43C (in his 600D case) when gaming GW2 beta.

Case: I really love the Corsair 300R. It's like 80$ and is built very good and includes excellent cable management features.

Mobo: I'm a huge fan of ASUS, I always use ASUS. But if I were to choose something else, I'd go with Gigabyte. ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a good motherboard :)

Cooling: I can't stress enough how much value the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo brings. (~35$)

I actually built a PC for my dads company yesterday, using the Hyper 212 Evo. Check this out.
  • i5-3570K @ 4.224GHz
  • 4x2GB 1600MHz HyperX
  • ASUS P8Z77-M
  • Fractal Design R3 Mini
Photobucket: OC and temps
Photobucket: Picture of Cable Management

PSU: Ofcourse I'll recommend you get a modular

Last edited:

mtb211

wow the cable management is fantastic... you would be ashamed of my case :D

My suggestions:

GPU: Get the Windforce X3 from Gigabyte. My friend has it, and it's dead quiet and keeps cool at 43C (in his 600D case) when gaming GW2 beta.

Case: I really love the Corsair 300R. It's like 80$ and is built very good and includes excellent cable management features.

Mobo: I'm a huge fan of ASUS, I always use ASUS. But if I were to choose something else, I'd go with Gigabyte. ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a good motherboard :)

Cooling: I can't stress enough how much value the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo brings. (~35$)

I actually built a PC for my dads company yesterday, using the Hyper 212 Evo. Check this out.
  • i5-3570K @ 4.224GHz
  • 4x2GB 1600MHz HyperX
  • ASUS P8Z77-M
  • Fractal Design R3 Mini

swchoi89

Which mb?
If you edit the OP with your changes it helps to keep up and things don't get lost in the thread. Just a suggestion :) :good:

For memory 1.5v 1600 @ 9-9-9 is a good way to go. Games very well.

600w is already plenty. Since the ps is the most important part, what 700w you looking at? Unless its a top of the line 700watter you can move up in quality w/600w, still have plenty, and not spend more.

Thanks for the reply. Should I just get those G.Skill 8GB RAM?

Also, I was looking at OCZ Modstream PSU for either 600W or 700W.

swchoi89

My suggestions:

• i5-3570K @ 4.224GHz
  • 4x2GB 1600MHz HyperX
  • ASUS P8Z77-M
  • Fractal Design R3 Mini

Hey, thanks for the reply.

For the case, I want something that's fancy this time. I've had Antec Gaming computers that had no LED lights whatsoever. Do you have any other alternatives other than the Corsair you mentioned? I want to compare with multiple cases.

Also, what do you mean by modular? Could you explain if you don't mind? :D

For the motherboard, how about this one?
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70263&vpn=GA-Z77X-UD3H&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1043

spirit

Staff member
Modular power supplies allow you to remove cables you don't need. Either one of those OCZ PSUs you were looking at are semi-modular and would be fine to use. :)

G.Skill RAM is good stuff, I'd say get it.

swchoi89

Modular power supplies allow you to remove cables you don't need. Either one of those OCZ PSUs you were looking at are semi-modular and would be fine to use. :)

G.Skill RAM is good stuff, I'd say get it.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I am looking at the 1000W now, they have a good deal for it.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=44873&promoid=1043

Also, for motherboard, I'm looking at:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71608&promoid=1043

What do you think? If it means CrossFireX compatible or whatever, does it mean it'll under perform for nVidia cards?