$1,200 CDN build (or does it matter?)

spirit

Staff member
Why would you need a 1000W power supply? I think you should spend less on the PSU and get a lower wattage unit and spend more on the board, get the GA-Z77X-D3H or even a UD3H.

It looks like the board you've found there is compatible with AMD and NVIDIA cards, but it won't work with two or more NVIDIA cards, whereas it will work with two or more AMD cards, but it will work fine with a single NVIDIA card.

swchoi89

Why would you need a 1000W power supply? I think you should spend less on the PSU and get a lower wattage unit and spend more on the board, get the GA-Z77X-D3H or even a UD3H.

It looks like the board you've found there is compatible with AMD and NVIDIA cards, but it won't work with two or more NVIDIA cards, whereas it will work with two or more AMD cards, but it will work fine with a single NVIDIA card.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33041&vpn=OCZ600MXSP&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1043
600W?

There is a 850W one for 79$ as well. What do you think?

As for the motherboard, do you think it'll be fine as long as I don't go with SLI config in the future?

spirit

Staff member
I'd go for the 850W, it should be more than enough.

The board will be fine so long as you don't want to SLI.

Benny Boy

That looks like a good deal w/ a good mb.
if you're not planning on getting any more video cards 600W will do that 670 fine.
This^.

With the Z77 D3H not optimal for running 2 video cards(even tho it says CrossfireX), 600w is enough. Still a good board. Always just running a single vc big enough to do what you want it to do, is better than running 2 cards. If you need a bigger card in the future, just sell the one you have and get a diff one.

I'd suggest listing that combo as your mb/cpu, and if you want you can revisit it later towards the end of the build.

For PS I'd go for this one. Costs a bit more but, being built by top ps builder Seasonic makes it a much better unit. Longer warranty. Still modular. And 30 off w/o waiting on a rebate.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=67325&vpn=HCG%2D620M&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1043

Last edited:

swchoi89

I'd go for the 850W, it should be more than enough.

The board will be fine so long as you don't want to SLI.

Ok. Thanks so much for your help!

Do you have any preferences in cases? I was looking at NZXT and I don't know much about their quality. But their products look really nice.

Lexa S and Guardian RB 921 stood out the most to my eyes.

swchoi89

That looks like a good deal w/ a good mb.
This^.

With the Z77 D3H not optimal for running 2 video cards(even tho it says CrossfireX), 600w is enough. Still a good board. Always just running a single vc big enough to do what you want it to do, is better than running 2 cards. If you need a bigger card in the future, just sell the one you have and get a diff one.

I'd suggest listing that combo as your mb/cpu, and if you want you can revisit it later towards the end of the build.

For PS I'd go for this one. Costs a bit more but, being built by top ps builder Seasonic makes it a much better unit. Longer warranty. Still modular. And 30 off w/o waiting on a rebate.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=67325&vpn=HCG%2D620M&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1043

I think I'm pretty much set on the list I provided already with some adjustments.

EVGA FTW GTX 670
The Gigabyte motherboard U3DX or whatever
850W PSU
Not sure about cases yet... I posted a reply, I want your opinion !

swchoi89

What adjusted list are you pretty much set on?

EVGA FTW GTX 670
i5-3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX vs. Gigabyte Z77-U3D
850W 80+ Gold Certified (Modular)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
NZXT LEXA S ATX Mid Tower vs. NZXT Guardian RB 921
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
Some LG DVD writer

Last edited: