$1000 to start

footballdude2k3

ok so i have been doing a lot of looking around and thinking and heres what i want to do, i want to get one of the 45nm intel processors that comes out this month, and a gigabyte motherboard that will be able to support it, im not sure if older motherboards with the new processors will work if you guys know then tell me, my limit of the cpu and mobo is 500, then i have a case picked out, i want 2-4 gbs of ram, a decent soundcard and videocard, the case is about 75 ill post a link later, and between the ram, soundcard and videocard i want to try to keep it under 425, any help would be greatly appreciated

taylormsj

Any gigabyte board with a P35 or X38 chipset would be good.

Try and go for a HD3850 video card at a minimum, but try and allow an 8800GT in your budget

footballdude2k3

ok i have no problem going with the quad because hopefully then i wouldnt have to upgrade processors for awhile, but i do have one question, i hear that for normal usage to not go with a quad because i wouldnt be using it for the right things, true or false?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ok i have no problem going with the quad because hopefully then i wouldnt have to upgrade processors for awhile, but i do have one question, i hear that for normal usage to not go with a quad because i wouldnt be using it for the right things, true or false?

Most applications are currently Dual Core coded only, so your other 2 cores, unfortunately, will not be used. However, when 4 core support becomes more "out", you will be ahead. Currently, on 2 core coded programs, a E6850 will beat a Q6600 due to it being 3GHz x2 vs 2.4GHz x2...

The only quad supported game I know is HL2.

footballdude2k3

oh thats cool, so i could just get the quad core and be set with that for a few years....err sry, i forgot how fast coputers change, i would be set for about 3 hours before something new came out lol jk, but it does look like quad cores are the future correct?

Iluvpenguins

People suggest quads are the future...but lets be realistic. By the time majority of Quad-Core ready applications come out your processor will be of the lower end of quads and there will be something much better...so I wouldn't consider them completely future proof.

JLV2k5

ok so i have been doing a lot of looking around and thinking and heres what i want to do, i want to get one of the 45nm intel processors that comes out this month.....

The only 45nm processors I see are the Core 2 Extremes and they run $1000 easily. So much for the budget :) .

Kilauea

banned
What exactly do you do that requires a sound card, because you know that the integrated sound of your mobo is plenty for most people.

ANNR

if you have a juicy set of speakers than go with a sound card other than that just use what the mobo have to offer.

kevlee89

The only 45nm processors I see are the Core 2 Extremes and they run $1000 easily. So much for the budget :) .

the Wolfdale processors are supposed to come out pretty soon, and the price is roughly supposed to be equal to the Core 2 Duos out right now

oscaryu1

VIP Member
oh thats cool, so i could just get the quad core and be set with that for a few years....err sry, i forgot how fast coputers change, i would be set for about 3 hours before something new came out lol jk, but it does look like quad cores are the future correct?

Yes... But 45nm are also the future-future...

The only 45nm processors I see are the Core 2 Extremes and they run $1000 easily. So much for the budget .

There were like $200 Quads if I remembered right... Or maybe those were Duo's... They were 45nm though.

What exactly do you do that requires a sound card, because you know that the integrated sound of your mobo is plenty for most people.

Agreed. This $72 motherboard gives 8 channel sound... Very nice for such a cheap motherboard. And it works! :D

footballdude2k3

i have no problem waiting for a couple months if these 45nm's are supposed to be the future, this is going to be my desktop for college so im not planning on having the extra money for 4 years to upgrade, so i would rather spend extra now while i have it and just take a couple nights off partying and blowing money on random things so i have a flexible budget because if need be i can buy things over a few months as well, and i was thinking about getting a soundcard because im going to get a logitech 5.1 system and i always thought that surround was better on a soundcard, but if the soundcard onboard will be good for that then that saves me a little cash to put towards the videocard and processor from everything i hear i think that im going to save some money and wait until i can afford an 8800, what kind of ram would you guys say to use?