$1200-$1500 build

Andrewlol

Howdy guys, I came here roughly 5 years ago as a computer novice and you helped me build a great PC. This time around i'm armed with a little more information but still mostly suck at picking out parts.

This is what I have found for now other than a case which I would love to get some recommendations on. These prices aren't set in stone because of the 15% off jet.com discount. I would greatly appreciate any help!
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($404.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1283.40

Edit: Also I THINK I can get Windows 10 for free from school but I'm not sure atm.

Andrewlol

I totally thought about it and originally had it in the build but decided it wasnt worth the signifact extra cost. Figured I could save some money or dump it somewhere else with a 1070.

Darren

Staff member
For the CPU cooler, why not go with a Evo 212? I think it's cheaper and it has rave reviews.
While the 212 is solid, I think the reason it's got rave reviews is because it's people first "big boy" air cooler and is frequently recommended and easily available. I had one for a few years and yeah it worked well but after moving on from it it really just serves as a decent air cooler that cheap and a big step up from stock coolers.

H7 is better too.

Laquer Head

While the 212 is solid, I think the reason it's got rave reviews is because it's people first "big boy" air cooler and is frequently recommended and easily available. I had one for a few years and yeah it worked well but after moving on from it it really just serves as a decent air cooler that cheap and a big step up from stock coolers.

H7 is better too.

The 212 is overrated and overhyped. It's a solid cooler for what it is and is priced right, but its no better/worse than a host of other air coolers out there.

Darren

Staff member
As long as it's not that liquid metal one that binds to the cooler, right @Darren :p
I scraped and scraped and still there was some left. Drowned it in AS5 and it seems good now. :D

Never get that liquid metal stuff, or else when your friend sends you a cooler that has that gunk baked on for 5 years it ain't coming off.

Andrewlol

Quick change of subject. Thanks to having a microcenter nearby, I can get the i5 6600k + the mobo for $335 or an i7-6700k with the mobo for $422. Should I stick with the i5 and just take advantage of a great deal or take the opportunity to jump to an i7? Mostly using it for playing games, maybe a little bit of drafting ( and likely wont overclock or upgrade until i'm ready to build a new one.

Darren

Staff member
If you can afford it comfortably I'd go ahead and spring for the i7. Games are starting to make use of the extra threads and it'll last you a lot longer as quad cores will be replaced with hex-octa cores pretty quickly.