$1200-$1500 build

Laquer Head

Quick change of subject. Thanks to having a microcenter nearby, I can get the i5 6600k + the mobo for $335 or an i7-6700k with the mobo for $422. Should I stick with the i5 and just take advantage of a great deal or take the opportunity to jump to an i7? Mostly using it for playing games, maybe a little bit of drafting ( and likely wont overclock or upgrade until i'm ready to build a new one.

I'd go with an i5 and put the savings into the GPU.

beers

Staff member
Thanks to having a microcenter nearby, I can get the i5 6600k + the mobo for $335 or an i7-6700k with the mobo for $422.
Did you check out the updated pricing? MC has the 6600/6700K down to ~$180 and $260 respectively. A decent 6600K bundle can be had for ~$260+tax

Andrewlol

Did you check out the updated pricing? MC has the 6600/6700K down to ~$180 and $260 respectively. A decent 6600K bundle can be had for ~$260+tax
Ya that's where I had got my numbers from. I think my motherboard goes from 159 to 109 between a sale and the combo. I didn't want to go that much lower than that and cheap out on the motherboard but I also don't know what I'm talking about

Andrewlol

Alright well I think i'm going to go with either the i5/1070 (or i7/1070 if I can be talked into spending the extra 80 bucks). Figure maybe a few years down the line I can upgrade to a 1080 instead of doing it all at once. Also been recommended the Fractal Design R5 case unless anybody can talk me out of it. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated

Darren

Staff member
I still say the i7 is worth it, particularly for 80 bucks but meh. I would cautiously estimate that you'd get an extra year or two out of the CPU before feeling the need to upgrade. I think 8 threaded games are going to be a lot more prevalent over the next few years, particularly since there are already a handful that benefit from them now. That extra longevity could be the difference between a whole other GPU, but again this is speculation to some degree.

Laquer Head

You will be buying an equivalent to what the 1080 is right now. Buying a 1080 in a few years time is like buying a GTX 780 right now.

Pretty much.. the 1080 will be 'old' by 2017 and the TI variant will be the new top dog. Cards pretty much stay 'current' about 12 months these days.

Andrewlol

True. I guess that's what I meant. In a few years maybe upgrade to the current best card. Right now I'm rocking a gtx 570 and a sandy bridge CPU so no matter what I do my new computer will feel like a rocket ship

Andrewlol

So in the last few days before I bought it, the price of the RAM jumped about 12 bucks. I see that my motherboard supports 2133 to 3200. Does that speed make a huge difference? Should I just go with what is cheapest?
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 on sale for $79.99 ending tomorrow. Should I get that or aim for higher?

spirit

Staff member
So in the last few days before I bought it, the price of the RAM jumped about 12 bucks. I see that my motherboard supports 2133 to 3200. Does that speed make a huge difference? Should I just go with what is cheapest?
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 on sale for $79.99 ending tomorrow. Should I get that or aim for higher?
2666 will be fine, you won't notice any difference in day-to-day use between that and 3200.