1366 i7 - SLI Fermi - Gaming, Entertainment build, need advice

fastdude

Not at 50-60 fps... not even close.

Why not single GTX580?
Ok so 2 x GTX570 quite alot quicker but really a GTX580 will be more than enough to power out HD games, and you can SLI in the future. Always better to have single powerful card than two less powerful ones.

X58 provides 36 lanes of bandwidth so you can have a multiple-GPU setup @ 16x/16x with no problems.

If you're not going to be triple SLI'ing in future, then the Asus Sabertooth is a better choice of board. 5 year warranty, awesome overclocker, and all the tickbox features that the EVGA board has.

KPC84

Why not single GTX580?
Ok so 2 x GTX570 quite alot quicker but really a GTX580 will be more than enough to power out HD games, and you can SLI in the future. Always better to have single powerful card than two less powerful ones.

X58 provides 36 lanes of bandwidth so you can have a multiple-GPU setup @ 16x/16x with no problems.

If you're not going to be triple SLI'ing in future, then the Asus Sabertooth is a better choice of board. 5 year warranty, awesome overclocker, and all the tickbox features that the EVGA board has.

You answered your own question. For just a little bit more cost than a single 580, I can SLI 570 and get much more power.

By the time I need to upgrade from SLI 570, I'm sure a new GPU chipset will be out.

KPC84

The 580 will anyway be a better choice.:)

yes, if we were comparing single cards, I would agree with you.

However, if you look at these benchmark results and consider the costs of the cards, I would argue that the SLI 570s are a better cost/performance setup.

Single 580 benchmark

SLI 570 benchmark

Evga 580 GTX = $529
SLI 570 GTX = $740 and about 61% better performance

$220 for 60% greater graphics performance sounds good to me.

BillOhio

Yeah,that build is a monster. My only question would be why you're going with windows 'professional' for an additional $30, but I'm guessing you have your reasons there as well. My only other thought would be to wonder if you're close enough o a Microcenter to get that i7-950 for $200 plus tax.

Last edited:

fastdude

Is there a usable difference between ultimate and pro, that will contribute to better entertainment, gaming, performance?

No. The only thing ultimate offers over professional is a cooler name, BitLocker (you'll be fine without it), and the ability to work in 35 different languages.

KPC84

No. The only thing ultimate offers over professional is a cooler name, BitLocker (you'll be fine without it), and the ability to work in 35 different languages.

...in that case, is there really any need to upgrade from home premium to pro?

EDIT: what is bitlocker? doesn't have anything to do with bittorrents or p2p? I use those frequently...µtorrent that is

Last edited:

BillOhio

BTW, maybe I missed it but I didn't see a case. With all that badassery component-wise I'm guessing you'll be in the market for a solid case as well. If you haven't already made your call, I'd like to suggest the TJ07. If I had one I think I'd sleep with it. It just looks like Class. Or an equally attractive midtower

Last edited: