1366 i7 - SLI Fermi - Gaming, Entertainment build, need advice

I haven't read everything in between, so I don't know if you bought parts already. But wait for sandy bridge. It shouldn't be too long.

ummm... sandy bridge is replacing the 1156. It's won't run 3X or 4X SLI, and it's only dual channel RAM.

It's inferior to the 1366 i7.
 
ummm... sandy bridge is replacing the 1156. It's won't run 3X or 4X SLI, and it's only dual channel RAM.

It's inferior to the 1366 i7.

Is tri-channel vs. dual much of a difference? My understanding is that while SB may only support 2 gpu's, it does so with expanded bandwidth. Also, because the chip is more efficient it will use less power therefore create less heat and therefore OC like a bastard... or something. If nothing else Sandybridge is the same socket to IvyBridge which is the replacement to 1366.

I'm a 1366 owner and as happy as I am with my rig I think I would hold off for 9 days before investing thousands into a build, just to be sure.

Personally I'm keeping an eye out to see if Bomberboy posts some thoughts/explanations of what to think of the new chips.
 
^^^ yeah, i will wait untill the reviews come out, but I don't expect anything ground breaking. It just doesn't have the "horsepower" to beat out the 1366.
 
^
Yeah, I started thinking about that after I posted the message. But honestly, You don't need two GTX 570's for 1920x1080...

Just buy a 580 and save SLi for later. I'm not trying to be an ass, but you sure sound like one.

EDIT: Two 570's would offer... 50% more performance than a 580. Although, you will really have to consider the heat output by these things.

Did you consider AMD cards at all?
 
Last edited:
Just buy a 580 and save SLi for later. I'm not trying to be an ass, but you sure sound like one.

EDIT: Two 570's would offer... 50% more performance than a 580. Although, you will really have to consider the heat output by these things.

Did you consider AMD cards at all?

Nope.

And heat shouldn't be an issue. The high exhaust temperatures that nvidia had with the 400 series were solved in the 500 cards. Yes, it will be hot, but nothing a good case and cooling can't handle.
 
Why no consideration for ATi? I would personally chose nvidia, because I like to use premiere pro a bit. (Full hardware support)
 
Didnt read all 5 pages but i was told the Corsair TX series is no longer Seasonic internals, they arnt what they used to be... might wanna upgrade to the HX or even the fully modular AX series...also Im not sure if it incluse the 850 but i wouldnt see why it wouldnt

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/898000-corsair-tx-line-changed-secret.html


Decided to go with the HK 850 based on the problems with the TX in the above link. Thanks for the heads up!

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
 
Final Build List, just waiting for a few parts to come back in stock...

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

^^ X2 for SLI

CORSAIR Vengeance 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory Model CMZ6GX3M3A2000C10

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port / Extra silver face plate

SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse


Final thoughts or advice?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top