$1500 for a complete gaming computer

tykempster

My current desktop is old and can't run current games. For $1500 I need a complete new computer, speakers, monitor, mouse, pad, etc., but not OS.

Respital

My current desktop is old and can't run current games. For $1500 I need a complete new computer, speakers, monitor, mouse, pad, etc., but not OS.

First of all welcome to the forum. :)

<On Topic>

Are you going to overclock?
Does it have to have more then one DVD burner?
How much space for upgrading do you want?
Are you looking for it to be somewhat future proof?
Those questions will help us CF members configure a system that best suits your needs. :)

tykempster

Sorry, mom made me get off mid-message, I'll be more complete here.

I am looking for a computer that can run all current games at max settings (except maybe Crysis), and that I can easily upgrade in the future. Personally, I do not really know how to overclock, although I have messed around with video card overclocking. I would like to overclock my video card and processor, there are plenty of those "tech kids" at school who could help me, or you guys on here. I'll go through each part with what I like on newegg.com, and you guys can make suggestions.

Case:$95-RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
(Will this be a good case? It has lots of good reviews, and it come with a power supply, but will 500W be enough?)

Motherboard: $120-ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
(I was hoping to use video cards in an SLI format, this card meets that requirement, is cheap, and has plenty of good reviews.)

Processor: $220-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
(Tons and tons of good reviews, plus I figured quad-core was the way of the future. Not really sure what quad and dual core are, but I know my current computer isn't either.:()

RAM: $85-G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
(4 GB that only takes up 2 memory slots and a low price with plenty of reviews. I see it is the DDR2 800, I think this is faster than some other DDR2? I don't think my motherboard supports DDR3, plus it is more expensive. What will I notice with faster memory?)

HD: $90-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
(Tons of reviews, really well priced. I don't think I need a faster more expensive hard drive, I really only listen to music, don't watch movies or do any editing. Gaming doesn't use the hard drive much, right?)

CD/DVD: $60-Dual Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK - OEM
(I would like to be able to burn dvd's and cd's if need be, although I don't mess with that stuff much, didn't see a need for anything more expensive. I do not plan on watching blu-ray on the computer, so I don't need to waste money on it.)

Video Card (HELP HERE PLEASE): $380- Dual EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
(I need something that will run all current and future games well. 1680x1050 is what my monitor will handle. Whatever will run games best. Do I want an SLI format with two cards, or one more powerful cards? I saw some 9600's for $158 from Biostar, but no reviews on them. I understand some games won't be able to be ran at max settings, but I want it to do well. I hope these will last a while.)

Monitor: $230- Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support
(Seems like a popular choice, I can't afford any 24"+ screens. I want a monitor that is clear and cheap for gaming and general computer work, no movies.)

Keyboard: $59- Logitech G11 Silver & Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard
(I really don't know which one to pick, I would kind of like lighted or wireless, I have no preference, whichever you guys think is best.)

Mouse: $40- Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse
(Seems like a very good choice, but it is wired. Is a wireless mouse any less responsive/quick? No wires would be nice, but not if it's crappy.

Mousepad: $17- XTRAC RIPPER XL Optical Mouse pad
(BIG? What else...it's a mousepad?)

Did I miss anything? I could use my current mouse and keyboard, but they are old, loud, crappy, etc.

Thanks for your help!

UriA702

for that setup you will need about a 600 watt power supply. I would advise against the smilodon case, a antec 900 would be better. look in my sig, I have the smilodon case and it is cheap garbage. go with an antec or a cooler master case instead.

tykempster

Is 4 GB RAM any real advantage? It doesn't cost that much extra, and my motherboard only supports DDR2 so I couldn't get 2 GB of real nice RAM.

What does "extra fast gaming RAM" actually do faster?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Well, if you were running XP I'd say stick with 2GB of RAM but with Vista, 4GB of RAM do work better. Theres tons of "real nice" RAM for DDR2. ;) Corsair XMS2, Crucial BallistiX, Kingston Hyper-X...

And "extra fast gaming RAM" means "buy it, buy it, buy it, it's fast" It tells nothing if it doesn't say what the brand/manufacturer or model of the RAM is.

Shadowhunter

Is 4 GB RAM any real advantage? It doesn't cost that much extra, and my motherboard only supports DDR2 so I couldn't get 2 GB of real nice RAM.

What does "extra fast gaming RAM" actually do faster?

Files for programs you or Windows are using are stored in your RAM for quick access when they're needed, so the faster the RAM the faster those files can be accessed by your PC. However, the differences between something like DDR2-667 and DDR2-800 is fairly minimal and you wouldn't notice the difference. Your best off getting 4GB (2 x 2GB) of DDR2-800, it will only cost you $80 and you would end up upgrading to that in the future anyway.

Vizy

On the keyboard the Reddevil posted, i have the same KB and mouse combo and idk if it's just mine or something, but the battery life on the mouse sucks the hairiest knuckle in the world. ITs really bad. The keyboard has been going for 2+yrs now but the Mouse batteries is being changed every 2 weeks!

reddevil6

On the keyboard the Reddevil posted, i have the same KB and mouse combo and idk if it's just mine or something, but the battery life on the mouse sucks the hairiest knuckle in the world. ITs really bad. The keyboard has been going for 2+yrs now but the Mouse batteries is being changed every 2 weeks!
relay cos i have that same keyboard an mouse as well, i have had it since Christmas an have not have to change the batreys at all yet.