1st-time gamer pc build - Did I do good?

Michellemabelle

Hey you wonderful people!

I am planning on finally getting an actual desktop for gaming, after using only laptops for several years. I've spent a lot of time trying to wrap my head around all the different parts and how they're connected, but I'm still a little lost in regards to the motherboard, cooler and PSU.
What I'm hoping some of you might be able to tell me, is whether or not the build I'm currently set on is good or needs some tweaking to get good :)

My budget is $1000 (+ / - a few bucks)
The PC I've built will be used for moderate gaming, with games that aren't too demanding (LoL, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Planet Coaster, For Honor). That being said I am a sucker for eyecandy, so I'd like to be able to play most games on med-high without any significant framerate drops. I want the build to be able to last me at least 3 years - save for possible small upgrades in the future.

My current build looks like this:
Mobo: MSI b250 Pro-VDH mATX
CPU: Intel core i5 7500
Memory: Kingston DDR4 8 GB RAM
Harddrive: Kingston SSD 240Gb SATA6 550/480 r/w
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Armor 3Gb OCV1
Cooler: Arctic Alpine 11 Plus
PSU: Cooler Master B2 600W ATX2.31
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Total: $980
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind Regards
- Michelle

_Glitch

Looking pretty good. But have you considered the IO options on the motherboard?
No analog Surround sound and only 5 USB ports (plus 1x USB-C) is a deal breaker for me. (also no OC support, but i can see that's not what you are going for)
If it isn't a big deal for you, i'll say it's fine.

What RAM and SSD is it exactly?
You just posted some basic specs and brand name.
Can you link us to them?

Michellemabelle

No analog Surround sound and only 5 USB ports (plus 1x USB-C) is a deal breaker for me. (also no OC support, but i can see that's not what you are going for)

Can you link us to them?
?

Can you link us to them?

Uuuhm... I'm not entirely sure what some of those are - does it mean that there is no sound card on there?
What is OC?
The USB ports are not an issue for me :)

It's Kingston ValueRAM
And Kingston UV400

_Glitch

Well, there isn't any sound card per se, it does have an onboard sound chip as pretty much any motherboard has.
It's just that it doesn't have analog surround sound. You could still hock up a digital surround sound. But it just limits your surround sound options.

OC is short for overclocking.

Kingston valueRAM doesn't tell me anything. But it doesn't matter much anyway. RAM specs aren't as important as it used to be.
But i would still like a link.

Nothing wrong with that SSD. I bought 35 of 'em in 2016 at work (the 120gig version). For the money they perform great.

Laquer Head

..Regarding the CPU - Would this card be better?

What you linked to is a motherboard, and while its a good one, it would require you to get a different case that supports an ATX (thats the size) motherboard. The BitFenix case you chose is a mATX (microATX) and is too small!

Are you wanting to stay with a more compact build? or can you accommodate a larger case? If so, your options are much broader.

If your going with a GTX1060, I recommend getting a 6GB variant over the 3GB you chose.. More headroom, and better longevity for your build.

Is the $1000 budget in US currency? I think we can configure you something a bit different :)

Michellemabelle

Oh right, brainfart :eek:! I was referring to motherboard ofc.

Regarding the Matx: Unfortunately I don't have loads of space to accommodate a full-size pc. I was looking into getting the Matx because it seems fairly in-between in terms of space and upgrade-ability.
However I was also considering getting something like this (Heads up, Danish site), which is still Matx, but seems more spaceous. Otherwise, if none of that works out (cost and compatibility-wise), I was gonna go with a Cooler Master Silencio 352 Mini tower.

Hmmm... Yeah I see what you mean with the 6gb instead of 3gb... I figured it would be enough, but I suppose I'll never know what tomorrow's games might bring.

Yep, American bill$$ yo (figured putting it down in Danish Crowns wouldn't exactly speed things up) - what'd ya have in mind? ;) - seriously I'd love to hear it, I have 0 experience with this stuff.

Laquer Head

As far as that case you linked, I cant tell much from the pic and I don't know the brand, quality..etc.

When it comes to cases, I pretty much use Corsair exclusively..but many great brands out there.

With the GPU, the 1060 6GB is a good mid range card and will give you what you want for some of the games mentioned. If you plan to transition to more AAA titles (Witcher3, COD, BattleField, Fallout..etc) then for higher performance/max settings, your'e gonna want GTX1070 8GB or higher (cost obviously goes up dramatically)

As far as the motherboard I'd look at either an H270 or Z270 chipset over the B250. Better for now and long run. (If you plan to overclock, you need the z270)

Last edited:

Michellemabelle

As far as that case you linked, I cant tell much from the pic and I don't know the brand, quality..etc.

When it comes to cases, I pretty much use Corsair exclusively..but many great brands out there.

With the GPU, the 1060 6GB is a good mid range card and will give you what you want for some of the games mentioned. If you plan to transition to more AAA titles (Witcher3, COD, BattleField, Fallout..etc) then for higher performance/max settings, your'e gonna want GTX1070 8GB or higher (cost obviously goes up dramatically)

As far as the motherboard I'd look at either an H270 or Z270 chipset over the B250. Better for now and long run. (If you plan to overclock, you need the z270)

Thanks for being so patient and helpful! :) I might have to stick to a 1060 for now, as my budget just can't handle the 1070 at the moment - maybe once the price has gone down a bit.

Deadpool

If you do get the 1060, get the 6Gb version. Not only has more VRAM, but also has better performance (http://www.hwcompare.com/31385/geforce-gtx-1060-vs-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb/).

At that point I´d get the RX-480. But that´s your call.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wmdzGf
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wmdzGf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: *Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card ($185.66 @ Jet)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $807.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-20 14:10 EST-0500

_Glitch

I put together a build for you heavily inspired by the above suggestions on the danish market. (I am danish myself)
Problem with buying from a non EU country, is that you have to pay 25% tax + a handeling fee per shipment.
The danish market is a little more expensive, sure. But it's gonna end up being more expensive buying from America after tax and handeling.
Not to mention the higher shipping cost. I doubt that DeadPool's price includes shipping outside the US.

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS.__870 dkk
Ram: HyperX Savage 2x4, cl12 2400mhz. 650 dkk
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo._______________820 dkk
GPU: Gigabyte RX480._______________1700 dkk
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 520._____________500 dkk
CPU: i5-7500._____________________ 1700 dkk
HDD: WD Blue 1TB__________________430 dkk
Case: Non chosen. It's a personal thing.

Total: 6670 dkk and includes shipping. (950 USD)

Links:
http://www.edbpriser.dk/harddisk/wd-blue-wd10ezex-1-tb-id-6833684.aspx
http://www.edbpriser.dk/stroemforsy...20bronze-id-5056803.aspx?q=seasonic+s12ii+520
http://www.edbpriser.dk/ram/hyperx-savage-2-x-4-gb-id-12418227.aspx
http://www.edbpriser.dk/ssd-solid-s...vo-mz-75e250-250-gb-id-9025412.aspx?q=850+evo
http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/gigabyte-gv-rx480g1-gaming-4gd-4-gb-id-14117244.aspx?q=rx+480
http://www.edbpriser.dk/bundkort/asus-prime-h270-plus-id-16415587.aspx
http://www.edbpriser.dk/processor/core-i5-i5-7500-34-ghz-intel-boxed-id-15109839.aspx?q=core+i5-7500

Last edited:

C4C

Last edited:

Deadpool

Looks cool. I actually didn't read he needed a mATX.

And wouldn't it be better to get like a CS1311 or a MX300 instead of that Kingston? I'm not very familiar with the Danish prices but they are at least proportional right?

Agree with the H7 too. That thing is under rated as hell.

_Glitch

Total: $904.30 USD / 7700 DKK
7700 DKK = 1080 USD. ;P
But yeah, it's a great build. He looses a little storrage performance, but gains on the CPU. If we exclude the case (because my build didn't come with any) the price increases only by 30 bucks. So it's a good deal for more horse power.

But the CPU boost is not gonna effect gaming and casual computer use, but the Samsung SSD is gonna be noticeable in a lot of areas.
I personally would go for your build, but if he isn't using any CPU heavy software or regularly are de/compressing, converting large files, i would go with mine. (and choose the 1060 instead, but that's only because i prefer Nvidia. performance is ruffly the same) That's just my 2 cents.

C4C

And wouldn't it be better to get like a CS1311 or a MX300 instead of that Kingston?

He looses a little storage performance..
..but the Samsung SSD is gonna be noticeable in a lot of areas.

I chose the Kingston because I have first hand experience with it and it was less expensive.

It gets the job done, but the Samsung is faster! I think there's some places to cut back on..

Maybe get a RX 470/480 closer to the release of Vega since they are dropping in price? It'd save quite a bit of money.

mistersprinkles

You chose an ssd because you had hands on experience with it? I mean, it doesn't really matter. In terms of usage, it's all the same thing.