1st-time gamer pc build - Did I do good?

_Glitch

I chose the Kingston because I have first hand experience with it and it was less expensive.
It gets the job done, but the Samsung is faster!

No argument against that SSD. As i stated in another thread, i have bought over 30 of the UV400 drives at work.
So I have more than first hand experience with them. I can easily tell you (as you properly know) that they are amazing for the price, but they simply don't compare to the Samsung 850 SSD's.
If you are on a budget and want an SSD, That's where they shine.
but if you have more of a breathing room for a storage device, it's easy to recommend spending a little more to get the Samsung SSD. It's noticeable faster.

Last edited:

Deadpool

No argument against that SSD. As i stated in another thread, i have bought over 30 of the UV400 drives at work.
So I have more than first hand experience with them. I can easily tell you (as you properly know) that they are amazing for the price, but they simply don't compare to the Samsung 850 SSD's.
If you are on a budget and want an SSD, That's where they shine.
but if you have more of a breathing room for a storage device, it's easy to recommend spending a little more to get the Samsung SSD. It's noticeable faster.

Yeah I know what you mean. I got a Sandisk and I like it, but that doesn't make it a smart purchase. The UV400 is good for the price, but there are other good options out there, that depending on current prices could be a smarter investment. The CS1311, MX300, Trion 150 are just a few examples.

Although he 250Gb version of the EVO is so cheap right now that you would have to be on a very limited budget not to get it. I mean its at like $95. That is such a good price.

The Zotac Premium Edition has a pretty good price too.

Last edited:

_Glitch

@Deadpool
I see it has gotten a little cheaper than last time i looked at it. it's really hard to beat at that price.
It's the classic example. Spend a little more money and gain a good load of performance.
Sometimes it's really worth it spending more.

Deadpool

@Deadpool
I see it has gotten a little cheaper than last time i looked at it. it's really hard to beat at that price.
It's the classic example. Spend a little more money and gain a good load of performance.
Sometimes it's really worth it spending more.

Yeah that price surprised me too. So good. It used to be 110+ I think.

_Glitch

yeah, at some point it was.
That's why i settled for the UV400 at that time.
When you are multiplying the price by 30, price becomes an issue.

_Glitch

Haha. That's technology for ya. I have made plenty of mistakes like that too. XD
Most reasontly was my GTX 980ti. Didn't think the 1070 would be as powerful as it turned out to be. So i should have waited for it.

C4C

You chose an ssd because you had hands on experience with it? I mean, it doesn't really matter. In terms of usage, it's all the same thing.

Reliability is what I was getting at..

You're not gonna go grab any random mechanical drive off the shelf, run it for hours on end, and expect it store your most valuable data for 3 years, correct? You're gonna look for a name brand that has some integrity and validity that it will stand up to perform it's job efficiently.

I'm passing the 2000 hour mark as I write this and I'm still seeing damn good specs out of my UV400. "Up to 550 read & 500 write" on Kingston's website, and I'm getting 470 read, 370 write.

The posts in-between yours and this one have come to a conclusion: Great value, but there's better options.