2 Routers and a New House

jbrown456

Okay guys, I just moved into a 3 story house, and I have to get internet to all 3 floors, but one router in the basement isn't cutting it.

I have 2 D-link DI-524's and right now one is hooked up in the basement (where the internet connection is), and only gets internet to the second floor.

All of the computers are wireless, and my question is can i take another DI-524 and somehow wirelessly make it another access point WITHOUT running a wire from one router to the other (this really isn't an option).

I basically want to make it a range extender.

Anything I can do, or do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jbrown

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes you can, most routers can function as an AP alone, or you can get a wireless bridge and use that to connect to another router.

axgrinder73

Try assigning it a static IP and plugging it in. Then see if you can ping it from a commputer that is connected to the other router. If so, see if it can be connectd to from a computer on the third floor. If so, try pinging the router in the basement. If that goes well then you should be home free.

Most home routers act as a router, switch, and WAP. If there is nothing connected to the WAN interface then in is not routing.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-Rob

jbrown456

Thank you for your reply,
I don't know how to assign it a static IP, is that somthing i do in the router setup or on the computer?

I don't really know what i'm doing

lol

axgrinder73

Check your router documentation and it will decribe the addressing process. If you don't have the manual, it's probably available online.

On most home routers it is done by connecting a cable from a computer to a LAN port on the router and entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your web browser. You will be prompted for the default user name and password. You will need to find this (online or in the manual) and enter it.

Let us know how it goes.

-Rob

jbrown456

i know how to login, so thats one good thing, lol

i'll go to dlinks site and have a look.

im still not 100% sure what im looking for, lol

im stupid :p

thanks for your help,
jeff

tremmor

I don't know what your limitation is. i can hook up 255 wireless with no problem. is it distance that is the problem? 300 feet should not be an issue.

jbrown456

well i have to get wireless internet to 3 floors of the house, and the house is fairly big. one router dosen't cover it, there is too many walls and obstacles.

axgrinder73

Do you know what address scheme you are using now? If not, you will need to find out by typing "ipconfig" in a dos prompt on one of your computers. Make a note of the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server addresses.

You will need to set up the router that is not being connected to your modem with a static IP address on the same subnet as the rest of the network.

Then try to ping that router.

Let us know if you can get that far.

jbrown456

okay i ran ipconfig and my laptop has:
ip -192.168.0.100
subnet - 255.255.255.0
gateway - 192.168.0.1

im going to try that out now, i think i understand now.

Last edited:

jbrown456

okay i set the router a static ip of 192.168.0.134 and put in the same gateway and subnet.

i tried to ping the router and nothing happened.

i don't understand how this could work, the router dosen't know what wireless network to connect to.

you do realize there is no wire between the two routers right?

axgrinder73

OK the gateway is the address for the router that is hooked to the modem. Since your laptop has an address of 192.168.0.100, I am assuming that your router is issuing address via DHCP starting at x.x.x.100.

Therefore, I would give the wireless access point (the other router that will not be connected to the modem) an address of 192.168.0.2(or anything between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.99).

Then in a dos prompt on a computer that is connected to the router type "ping 192.160.0.2" If you used a different IP for the wireless access point put it in instead,

Let us know how it goes.

axgrinder73

Be connected to the router that is connected to the modem and try to ping the router that you are trying to use as a wireless access.

jbrown456

Be connected to the router that is connected to the modem and try to ping the router that you are trying to use as a wireless access.

and i don't need a wire running between them, and i don't have to tell the router what wireless network its connecting to either?