2 Routers and a New House

holdenssx

and i don't need a wire running between them, and i don't have to tell the router what wireless network its connecting to either?

I don't think he realizes what you're trying to do. You'd need a cable for that method. If only the DI-524's supported WDS then you could use your second router as a repeater.

axgrinder73

Ok, lets agree on some names to clarify what we are talking about. From now on when I say "router", I am talking about the router that is connected to your modem.

The other router will be refered to as the "wireless access point, WAP"

Hopefully, this will eliminate some confusion.

So, if I understand you correctly, your computer is connected to the router, and you cannot ping the wireless access point.

What address did you set for the following on the WAP:

- IP address
- Subnetmask
- Gateway
- Primary DNS

jbrown456

okay, im going to officially give up on this and look into the apple airport express line because it seems to do this.

but anyways, i still want to make use of this second di-524, so how would i go about connecting the two together WITH a cat5 cable?

thank you everybody for your help!

axgrinder73

Sorry that it didn't work out.

To hook the two routers together, just connect them with a patch cable between the LAN ports on each router. The router connected to the modem will act as the router and the other router will act as a switch/WAP.

jbrown456

i decided to go ahead and play around. as soon as i disabled dhcp and plugged a cat 5 cable into the lan port of both routers (not wan), it worked well.

thank you for your help everyone!