$2000 computer broken?

Jet

VIP Member
It isn't that your computer has gotten slower, it is that other computers have gotten much faster and even basic programs now require much faster computers.

ADE

banned
wait...if it can't run anything, then how are you on the Internet right now checking the responses and for that matter, even making this thread?

heyman421

banned
this has got to be a joke

what was top of the line 13 years ago? a 300mhz p2?

those can't even play a dvd without a hardware mpeg-2 decoder

and i doubt you could have even bought one for $2k.

A top of the line computer can't even be had for $2k NOW, and computers were much more expensive back then. This HAS to be a joke.

daisymtc

Just built a new one with around $400 and will last for at lease 3-4 year.
If he don't know how, just buy a custom-build one. But you should ask for opinion b4 buying if you know nothing

spitviper

iv found computers in the dumbster that i bet where faster than that
its as old as me and not worth getting it to work

macnoob

why does it matter how long ago it was. this is an expensive computer and top of the line model.

top of line line? tis 8 years old. the mac pro is top of the line its insane(though over priced) it does like 4GHZ and has amazing specs in genral, your 8year old thing cant compare. the complexity of the software on it cant run modern programs and drivers. the hard ware probably isnt good enough to run anything major anyway. buy a new computer, because anyting that you may want to upgrade to, wont work with its mobo mostlkely.

Bradan

this has got to be a joke

what was top of the line 13 years ago? a 300mhz p2?

those can't even play a dvd without a hardware mpeg-2 decoder

and i doubt you could have even bought one for $2k.

A top of the line computer can't even be had for $2k NOW, and computers were much more expensive back then. This HAS to be a joke.

dam right, nobody is this uneducated this clueless, I call shens.
or
SHANANAGINS (lol southpark)

heyman421

banned
the mac pro only comes with up to a 3ghz processor.

and $2500 really isn't that much for a computer.

I paid $2400 for my 3.6 prescott three years ago.

Bradan

o ya and pc owns mac pro.

highest mac pro is 3ghz no ocing possible and top of line graphics is 1900 xt, also it comes with ddr2-667.....

I personally think a [email protected]+ghz some 2gb ddr2-1066, a nice couple of 8800 gtx's and a nice mobo would be a teency bit faster for like maybe 3000$ tops

vs 4500$ for a mac pro with 3ghz quad core, 2gb ddr2-667 1900xt........................................

Last edited:

johnny

why does it matter how long ago it was. this is an expensive computer and top of the line model.

Top of the line model. Buddy my new computer is almost top of the line (specs are in my signature) and it cost about $2500 without the monitor/TV. You got yours in 1993 and you say your running windows 3.1 for workgroups and your trying to use mondern day programs that wont run on your system, and I dont want to be rude or anything but your system is probably worth like 50 bucks now.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
How do I find out the specs. I bought it new and it worked fine and ran all programs fine for a few years then for the last 7 or 8 years or so it doesn't run new programs.
Now that you mention it's age, don't even bother to find the specs, it's not worth it :)

i looked and it says windows 3.1 for workgroups. I bought this in 1993 according to the receipt.
Absolutely nothing today supports windows 3.1, barely any programs supports windows 95.

Because new computer hardware comes out very frequently. Thus, ANY computer today, even sub 200 dollar computers is MANY times faster than a 14 year old computer.

I don't understand how a computer is not as fast if it is older. How is a computer considered fast or slow? It sits on a desk. Why does it make a difference? It works and turns on, that's all that matters.
because the standard of "fast" is changed very frequently, a "fast" processor today would be the QX6700, which is clocked at 2.66ghz and has 4 cores. Your processor, i'm guessing it's a Pentium, is probably clocked at under a few hundred mhz.

A computer gets "old" as new technology comes out. I was only 2 years old when that computer came out, but I'm guessing that that processor in your computer is around 50 mhz where as today's computers are around 3ghz(3,000 mhz) so todays computers have around 60 times more processing speed than yours. Its like you driving in a car at 1 mph and then a car going 60 mph goes by, thats the speed difference you'll see. :)

Definetly more than 60 times processing speeds considering massive architectural changes in the cores.

wait...if it can't run anything, then how are you on the Internet right now checking the responses and for that matter, even making this thread?

He probably has another computer :)

Sivon

Either this has got to be the best farce i've seen in a while, or we have a really really obsolete computer on our hands... I vote farce, especially with the 60-something age comment.

mrgeorgedude

Well if you didn't notice, he is 68 years old. Even if this is a joke, no reason to get upset.

Ya i agree. You guys are taking this way too seriously. Not everyone knows everything about computers regardless of age. I used to think computers where "faster" or "slower" depending ONLY on the operating system. I didn't even know what a CPU or RAM was.

But ya computers evolve at a scarry rate. A top notch computer at one moment in time can cost $2000, but within a year, the price will have cut in half...maybe more.

Hass

I don't even think any browsers will run on 3.1 o_O
Or supported, for that matter.
Oh well.
gg on the joke thread -.-

(by the way, would a normal person really keep a receipt from 1993?)

genius

ive just seen this thread and i luv it , im 67 and this may be age before beauty,dont take it so seriously

Lamilia

Hey some people really think that way. My grandmother got mad at me cuz I couldn't take her 5 old crappy barely/not at all working PCs and make them into one nice one. She said "i'll just take it to a computer store and have them do it". So now I have a new policy: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/
yeah..I actually bought that t-shirt.