4 Gigs RAM needed for Vista 64?

KPC84

Building a DX 10 rig for gaming with Vista 64. I'm going with an EVGA 790i ultra sli, which runs DD3 only RAM. My question is, do I need 4 gigs of RAM to run vista 64 smoothly?

Boomer

well i have a fresh install of 64 bit Vista on my laptop with the virtual/swap memory disabled. i have about 1gig of memory usage just after startup. thats with all but 4 startup/services disabled....

i have 4GBs. it never hurts :) DDR3 is just pricey...

Last edited:

Cleric7x9

DDR3 is a big waste of money.

DDR2 is fine. Get 4 gigs of it, i recommend for vista

his motherboard wont support DDR2.

I think that you would definitely benefit from 4 gigs over 2 gigs, but it is definitely not necessary. A lot depends on what else is in the system.

speedyink

VIP Member
Vista runs very smoothly on 2 gigs and 4 gigs. 4 gigs just slightly more so. You will, however, see a noticeable difference in demanding games.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
After installing 4GB of RAM, I've noticed that Vista uses at least 2.5GB while gaming. This leads me to believe that the additional memory is useful, and would be better than running 2GB.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I upgraded from 2 to 4gigs. I'll tell you, i could notice a major difference in Crysis, it was maxing out 2gb i had and causing major fps drops. And multitasking with a game running in the background runs ALOT smoother, you can't even tell you have it running. With 2gb, you might as well forget trying to minimize your games... :p

I'd say its very worth it.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You don't need 4 gigs of memory, but it's always nice to know that it's VERY hard to come close to running out of memory. The only time I've used over 3.5 gigs of memory is running two instances of Orthos.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Not unless you're an idiot and you can't control your memory usage.

We're idiots for spending the additional $30-$100 on some RAM? How do you "control" Crysis or COD4 from using 1 - 1.5GB of RAM? After taking a second look at your sig, I'm assuming you don't have an answer to that question - you're obviously not playing those games. ;)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
You tell'em mep! :D

On topic: I would get 2GB first, then if you think you're running slow say when gaming and what not then get the extra 2Gb.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
We're idiots for spending the additional $30-$100 on some RAM? How do you "control" Crysis or COD4 from using 1 - 1.5GB of RAM? After taking a second look at your sig, I'm assuming you don't have an answer to that question - you're obviously not playing those games. ;)

Exactly. :)

oscaryu1

VIP Member

Ouch! Nice one :D

KPC84

Hahaha, thanks for spitting some game back at him.

I've decided to go with the 4 gigs of ddr3 right away. It's not that bad of a price and the performance gain it seems is noticeable, especially running the high end games.

Which "fortyways" obviously isn't playing. ;)

PS: "fortyways", let's do a benchmark after I build my rig and lets see if you think I'm still an idiot.

fortyways

banned
Well then, let's begin.

At the time of my reply, the question was:

Do I need 4 gigs of RAM to run Vista smoothly?

There was no mention of Crysis or whatever.

Obviously, the answer is no, unless you're the type who let's 3 messengers and 2 antivirus programs run at startup, along with Aero and other needless things. The type of person a computer forum might regard as a relative "idiot."

Hence my response.

Not sure why everyone is all bent out of shape.

Lastly, to the OP in response to your benchmarks contest, I could point out that my entire system including monitor cost less than your RAM alone will, and you'd likely not care even one little bit, right?

Well, that's how I feel about benchmarks.

Cleric7x9

Building a DX 10 rig for gaming with Vista 64. I'm going with an EVGA 790i ultra sli, which runs DD3 only RAM. My question is, do I need 4 gigs of RAM to run vista 64 smoothly?

actually, there was mention of gaming, and last time i checked, crysis is a game.

fortyways

banned

Why split hairs? It's almost like you're actually going out of your way to be defensive.