4 Gigs RAM needed for Vista 64?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Nope. Didn't say anything offensive. Please read more carefully next time.

About reading more carefully... KPC84 said that he's building a *gaming rig*. I would assume that this statement was made in relation to the actual question, which is why most people are suggesting 4gb over 2 (I think). He didn't say "I'm getting some easter eggs. My question is, do I need 4 gigs of RAM to run vista 64 smoothly?", he said someting that was to do with the question, get over it, shall we? Yes, I hear? Great!

Back on topic...having been DEEPLY traumatized by using XP on a system with 128mb ram, I'd say go for 4gb, it'll keep you sane for good...of course you might want to get 2gb first and see if that's enough for you, but I haven't and never will regret putting too much money in some extra ram.

Last edited:

KPC84

Lastly, to the OP in response to your benchmarks contest, I could point out that my entire system including monitor cost less than your RAM alone will, and you'd likely not care even one little bit, right?

Well, that's how I feel about benchmarks.

I'm going with two orders of these for my 4 gigs of ram...

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Thats $240 for 4 gigs of DDR3...Are you saying you are proud that your entire system plus monitor costs less than $240? That sounds a little more embarrassing to me. Either that, or you are terrible at math.

You know, if you hadn't given me the attitude in your first post, we wouldn't be going through this right now.

daisymtc

Building a DX 10 rig for gaming with Vista 64. I'm going with an EVGA 790i ultra sli, which runs DD3 only RAM. My question is, do I need 4 gigs of RAM to run vista 64 smoothly?

Preminum 2GB is enough
Ultimate, may be. (I haven't try Ultimate yet, but that is what I heard)

fortyways

banned
I'm going with two orders of these for my 4 gigs of ram...

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Thats $240 for 4 gigs of DDR3...Are you saying you are proud that your entire system plus monitor costs less than $240? That sounds a little more embarrassing to me. Either that, or you are terrible at math.

You know, if you hadn't given me the attitude in your first post, we wouldn't be going through this right now.

No, what's embarrassing is spending $240 on memory in 2008.

I've already made it very clear that there was no "attitude" directed toward you. It takes a very insecure person to become offended at the word "idiot" regardless of its context, and a very stupid person to keep being belligerent on the matter even after it's been explained more than once (to accommodate for your lack of reading comprehension) that nobody was calling you an idiot.

I'm done trying to explain it to you. You clearly have some deficiencies that I'm not willing to work through with you. I agree with you now anyway, you truly are an idiot.

Enjoy your overpriced toy for lonely adults, idiot. I hope you realize that in three years, the price difference between my desktop computer and your "rig" will be negligible, if any.

Cleric7x9

No, what's embarrassing is spending $240 on memory in 2008.

I've already made it very clear that there was no "attitude" directed toward you. It takes a very insecure person to become offended at the word "idiot" regardless of its context, and a very stupid person to keep being belligerent on the matter even after it's been explained more than once (to accommodate for your lack of reading comprehension) that nobody was calling you an idiot.

I'm done trying to explain it to you. You clearly have some deficiencies that I'm not willing to work through with you. I agree with you now anyway, you truly are an idiot.

Enjoy your overpriced toy for lonely adults, idiot. I hope you realize that in three years, the price difference between my desktop computer and your "rig" will be negligible, if any.

lol relax over there buddy, you are the only one in this thread getting worked up. to the OP, the general consensus minus one opinion is that you should go for 4GB.

fortyways

banned
lol relax over there buddy, you are the only one in this thread getting worked up. to the OP, the general consensus minus one opinion is that you should go for 4GB.

If he wants to play Crysis 4 gigs could be beneficial. If he wants to run Vista smoothly more than 2 gigs is not required.

Very simple.

Vizy

maybe u can get 2 gigs for now. start bitchin about it, then u get an extra 2gigs, and then u feel better!!!! :D