$400 build, thoughts?

onipar

So I should go with Intel G620 Sandy instead of what I have chosen (with a different board of course)? Although as I'm looking over some benchmarks, it seems to really depend on what the computer is being used for...right? And in other threads with a similar questions it seems the votes for the Athlon X3 outweigh votes for the Intel chip...

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
the Athlon x3 will only outperform the G620 in task that do not require a fast per clock performance. The SB architecture (G620) is more efficient than the K9 architecture of the Athlon.

Gaming, Athlon, everything else, go for the Pentium.

Benny Boy

would that 450 Rana outperform a Intel G620 Sandy?
Depends on what your doing. 2 core vs 3 core. No hyperthreading on the G620 as well as some Sandy Bridge features that it doesn't have, altho its faster at carrying out it's intructions.
The Athlon has the 3 cores for multitasking and could wind up being a 4 core processor if it unlocks and is stable, which would add value.
I can't say how different the integrated graphics are. I know the G620 doesn't have accelerated HD video playback the AMD HD 4250 does.
I think either IGP would be more than adeqaute for this application. But I wouldn't use the G620 unless I was planning a future cpu upgrade.

Last edited:

onipar

Damn...too many decisions.

The Intel chip is actually $15 cheaper than the AMD (after a coupon code is used), so there is that...

But you said something about only using it is I was planning on upgrading? Why is that? Because once I put this together, it'll likely be their computer for 4-5 years without change. Maybe longer.

If I went with the Intel chip, any suggestions on a motherboard with integrated video that would be comparable to the current AMD set up I am planning?

And I guess the real question: would I even notice a difference between these two choices? And if not, does that mean the cheaper (intel) option is the best, or not (because of that upgrade thing you mentioned...)

Sorry for all the questions.

EDIT: one other thing I'm a little confused about. When I searched the LGA 1155 motherboards on newegg, it showed only 1 board with integrated graphics. Does that mean I'd have to get a video card if I got the intel chip, or am I missing something? (I'm sure I am missing something obvious)

Last edited:

Perkomate

EDIT: one other thing I'm a little confused about. When I searched the LGA 1155 motherboards on newegg, it showed only 1 board with integrated graphics. Does that mean I'd have to get a video card if I got the intel chip, or am I missing something? (I'm sure I am missing something obvious)

The socket H61 boards have integrated video. P67 do not. At least I think that's what it is; might need someone else to comfirm.

onipar

The socket H61 boards have integrated video. P67 do not. At least I think that's what it is; might need someone else to comfirm.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm new to this, so I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something, but on newegg all of the LGA 1155 say "none" for video chipset. I'm not sure if that means I'd need to get a video card if I went that route.

The other thing now is as I looked over the benchmarks here, it seemed like the G620 only beat out the Athlon II X3 in a few instances, with the X3 topping it most of the time.

I don't know, I'll have to sleep on this and hope for some more help tomorrow. Thanks everybody!

Benny Boy

imo

it'll likely be their computer for 4-5 years without change. Maybe longer.

would I even notice a difference between these two choices?

Does that mean I'd have to get a video card if I got the intel chip, or am I missing something?
Thats mainly why the 3 cores are safer.

They are both going to be fast. As in instantly, for everyday basic use. Where the x3 would pull away is if/when the G620 slows because it doesn't have the 3rd core.

No. Intel boards with an H and some Z68 have IGP.

jonnyp11

None of them really have an igpu, the sandy bridge (LGA1155) CPUs have the graphics built into them. But only some of the h's and the z68's know how to use them and have the ports to use them. So you just have to look and see if the board has the display ports and if so it will work fine. Also I believe some of the LGA1155 mobs are currently on sale so you may want to check that, but I really can't say which of the 2 will be better or if any difference will be noticeable.

onipar

Okay, thanks!

So as long as a motherboard has the display ports I'm good. Gotcha.

Yeah...since I'm trying to save money on this build, I guess It'd be a smart move to take a look at the Intel side since the CPU is cheaper, and the motherboards are on sale.

No matter which direction I go, I can always upgrade. I'm getting an AM3+ board if I get the AMD, so there's that. And the Intel board I read is fairly future proof.

So if they are basically the same in terms of performance and upgradeable, that just leaves price.

Well, that and video playback. I'm not sure, but it would seem like the AMD would have better video, right?

Any motherboard suggestions for the G620?

onipar

Thanks, johnny, but that's a bit higher priced than I'd like to spend.

I talked it out with my IT guy at work and have decided to stick to the AMD build. I'll be sure to come back and post pics and everything once I get building.

Thanks so much for all the help! :D:cool:

onipar

So, a little update.

I ordered a few of the components and the motherboard, case, and PSU already arrived.

Today on Newegg, 8 GB of the same RAM I was going to buy went on sale, so since 8 GB was the same price as the 4 GB I was going to buy, I just got the 8 GB. I think my system probably won't use it all, but I figured for the same price, I might as well.

I still haven't purchased the CPU, hoping it will go on sale. Everything else is on it's way. :D

onipar

The final build with total pricing (all bought and paid for. Waiting on shipping). Well, really I still need a cheap keyboard, but that's it. :p

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz: $55.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm CPU Cooler : $14.99 (after $10 rebate)

GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3: $82.99 (after $10 rebate)

Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID VN400A1W2N: $39.99 (after $10 rebate)

Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt: $34.99 (after $10 rebate)

Seagate - Barracuda 1TB: $58.29

Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive: $20.99

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800): $29.99

COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP: $7.63

Windows 7: $6

HP 20" S2031 HD Ready Widescreen LCD Monitor: $74.19

$475.35 -$40 in rebates.

TOTAL: $435.35

onipar

nice man! def post some pics when ya have it up!

You got it. Once everything arrives I'll build it out and take pics. I wanted to add a slide show of my building the computer to add to the desktop as part of the gift anyway, so they can see I didn't just buy them a computer. :D

StrangleHold

Staff member
Had a few 720. Pretty good processor for a C2 stepping. See if it will unlock to a quad. Pretty sure that Gigabyte has ACC to unlock cores.