45NM and X48 update

mkjaekmi

http://www.blogtoplist.com/rss/chipset.html

Intel X48 chipset may hurt X38 sales
2007-10-15 18:45:00

Intel X48 chipset may hurt X38 sales: "Intel recently launched its high-end 3 series chipset X38 in the market, however with details of a chip revision, the X48 chipset, exposed, some motherboard makers are concerned that the X48 may hurt demand for motherboards based on the X38 chipset, according to sources at motherboard makers. Intel recently delivered X48 A0 test samples to motherboard makers.

The chipset is expected to launch between the end of 2007 and January 2008 after testing, while motherboards should start appear on the market in the first quarter of 2008, added the sources.

From 14 NOV 07 report:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=470

Now, we have information that the Intel X48 Express chipset is slated to be launched sometime in mid-January, 2008. That firms up the previous estimate of Q1, 2008 or 10 weeks after BoneTrail's launch.

Getting close? This from The Inquirer: not The National Inquirer, but:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/.../11/22/leaky-mobo-rama

THE INTERNET IS leaked-pic-central this morning, as the release of Intel's X48 chipset and Nvidia's 780i approach. The boards have been finished for a long time now, merely waiting for the final revision of the chip to drop in.

That means that the Taiwanese manufacturers are getting antsy about who's going to get the big PR for the launch, and pictures are 'unofficially' flying left, right and centre to the press.

Have a gander, then, at these:

MSI X48
Gigabyte X48 with Christmas lights
Asus 780i
Gigabyte 780i

Reports say that the 45nm processor will be released on January/Q1 of 2008.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=21871

Honestly, I don't think the chips will be released till end of January the earliest. I have a feeling it might even take till Feb or even march.

What are your thoughts? And when do you think they will come out?

mkjaekmi

How much are they planned to be? I herd they weren't going to be as expensive as x38's first release.

is p35 more futur proof then x38?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
P35's can support 45nm with a BIOS flash, while the x38/x48 supports them natively...

$200 minimum, around $1000 max...

daisymtc

How much are they planned to be? I herd they weren't going to be as expensive as x38's first release.

is p35 more futur proof then x38?

What is the point of future proof?
You getting a P35 with $130, and a X38 for $250 when they release early this year. Then next year they release a newer chipset!
I believe when the time you want to upgrade your PC, you would find another $130 Mid-range MB with newer chipset working better than the $250 released initially.
So why are you are bother to buy the $250 in first place?

p5n32

wow QX9775 hahaha Watch the CPU's that come out in the next 2-3 years. Crazy From a nice P2 333mhz LOL to a QX9775 hahaha, can't wait to see what the future has to show hmm

spanky

Just to clear things up for some people. The QX9770 and QX9775 are the SAME CPU. The only different is the 9770 is for the LGA775 socket, and the 9775 is for the LGA771 socket.

ChrisUlrich

Can someone explain P35, X38, and X48?

Then can someone explain what 45nm means? I know it's new from Intel and it's supposed to completely destroy it's current Core 2 Duo chips. But I would like to more please!!

Geoff

VIP Member
Can someone explain P35, X38, and X48?

Then can someone explain what 45nm means? I know it's new from Intel and it's supposed to completely destroy it's current Core 2 Duo chips. But I would like to more please!!
The P35, X38, and X48 are Intel chipsets, the X48 being the latest one.

45nm is the size of the process, the smaller the transistors the more they can fit on a physical CPU die, thereby increasing processor performance. Now the upcoming 45nm processor are still Core 2 CPU's, so it's not going to "kill" the current generation, although they will be better.

ChrisUlrich

[-0MEGA-];836256 said:
The P35, X38, and X48 are Intel chipsets, the X48 being the latest one.

45nm is the size of the process, the smaller the transistors the more they can fit on a physical CPU die, thereby increasing processor performance. Now the upcoming 45nm processor are still Core 2 CPU's, so it's not going to "kill" the current generation, although they will be better.

Like the LGA775 and LGA771 Chipsets? Whats more advanced about these new ones?

So these 45nm processors are that much better then the current ones?

45nm is a bigger processor the the current ones and using smaller transistors. Mmm... hahahaha

Geoff

VIP Member
Like the LGA775 and LGA771 Chipsets? Whats more advanced about these new ones?

So these 45nm processors are that much better then the current ones?

45nm is a bigger processor the the current ones and using smaller transistors. Mmm... hahahaha
LGA775 and LGA771 are sockets, not chipsets. LGA775 are used in desktop motherboards, where as the LGA771 is used in server motherboards.

The fact that they are 45nm in itself doesn't make much of a difference other then it requires less voltage and runs cooler, however usually when they move to a smaller process, they will make some upgrades to the architecture.

45nm isn't a bigger processor, it's a smaller process (not processor), which allows for more transistors on the same size CPU die (basically on the processor).

ChrisUlrich

[-0MEGA-];836264 said:
LGA775 and LGA771 are sockets, not chipsets. LGA775 are used in desktop motherboards, where as the LGA771 is used in server motherboards.

The fact that they are 45nm in itself doesn't make much of a difference other then it requires less voltage and runs cooler, however usually when they move to a smaller process, they will make some upgrades to the architecture.

45nm isn't a bigger processor, it's a smaller process (not processor), which allows for more transistors on the same size CPU die (basically on the processor).

Oh man... i'm sorry. So what does chipset mean? How does that benefit technology?

So the 45nm processor being as good as everyone is saying... is all an assumption? Does anyone have hard evidence it's gonna be that much better then the current Core 2 Duo setups?

Geoff

VIP Member
Oh man... i'm sorry. So what does chipset mean? How does that benefit technology?

So the 45nm processor being as good as everyone is saying... is all an assumption? Does anyone have hard evidence it's gonna be that much better then the current Core 2 Duo setups?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

And just because a processor uses 45nm technology doesn't mean it outperforms other processors. The 45nm Core 2 series will be a great series of processors, and will most likely outperform anything AMD will have out at the time, as well as all of Intel's current offerings.

ChrisUlrich

[-0MEGA-];836272 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

And just because a processor uses 45nm technology doesn't mean it outperforms other processors. The 45nm Core 2 series will be a great series of processors, and will most likely outperform anything AMD will have out at the time, as well as all of Intel's current offerings.

So then why is everyone so sure this is gonna blow away the current Intel lineup?

Geoff

VIP Member
So then why is everyone so sure this is gonna blow away the current Intel lineup?
It will outperform the current Intel lineup, because the new processors are built off of the existing Core 2's, however they've reduced the process to 45nm and made some changes to the architecture itself, not to mention it will have a higher FSB then some of the current Core 2's and will have more cache.