• Wait for the price to drop on the X2

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don't care what you do :P

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hermeslyre

VIP Member
if you wanna kick someone's ass in F@h the gtx 280 will do it, ati cards got the short end of the stick in terms of the way F@h is programmed, and from what i've read the 4870x2 has to mirror the ram between the cores(i can't exactly remember what they said) but essentially you only can use about 1gb of ram, unless you have two of them in crossfire at which point it will show as 2gb's

The X2 has 1gb per core, and like all other MCM and multi-GPU situation, must redundantly mirror the VRAM between the cores in all applications. Its marketing as a 2GB video card is just shlock. :rolleyes:

I'd keep in mind that the X2 can realistically expect some real performance boosts from driver optimizations; it really is a driver dependent card from what I've heard. So it might end up even more powerful than it is now.. on the other hand, the GTX280 is irrevocably better in certain games.. I'd still lean further towards the X2.

One other thing to keep in mind, I hear the 4850X2 is supposed to be released in september, and two 4850 in crossfire are very equal to the 4870x2, though I dunno if that will remain the case through transition to MCM. Worth thinking about anyway.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
The 4870X2 will outperform that card by a long shot, the 4870 is right on its heels. At alot cheaper cost.

The GTX280, is just... way overpriced.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get either the X2 or the GTX. Not really interested in the 4870, although all the arguments for that card are valid. I'm waiting on some solid F@H results for the X2, and I plan on creating a thread at the F@H forum that will hopefully address some of my questions. Sometime next week, I'll make my decision. ;)

skidude

Go with the 4870 X2. I've heard it's like... retarded fast. I also hear its absolutely amazing for high resolution gaming.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Go with the 4870 X2. I've heard it's like... retarded fast. I also hear its absolutely amazing for high resolution gaming.

I'm gaming at 1680x1050, so that's one of my concerns...not sure if I really "need" that type of power. Still nice to have, though, even if I'm not gonna use it. :p

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You complain of too much power? But you can crank up expensive SSAA and AF, and IQ would never look better. Unless you'd rather to game still like a peasant. :p

And the price isn't terribly more expensive. But yeah, the rate you go through these things, it might be more sensible to keep your eye on the cheaper 280, I can see you more ready to splurge when an even bigger price/perf. thingy is released. It might even be better or the same with F@h, no idea, but that seems to be what you're looking out for.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ah, right. I didnt know that, thanks.

I'd say the 4870X2 looks good. But its all down to how much you're willing to pay. Like Andy said though, if you don't want to game like a peasant and want to crank some insane amounts of AA and AF onto things, go ATI.

... Please, never quote that, or even refer to the fact that I recomended an ATI card :p

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Peasant fanboys, with your little baby video cards! Run cowards! SashaX2 will eat you up!

Edit: Ok, I regret posting this now. Think!

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You complain of too much power?

Not really complaining, just trying to be rational. :)

But you can crank up expensive SSAA and AF, and IQ would never look better. Unless you'd rather to game still like a peasant. :p

lol. That's a good point. Didn't even think about that aspect 'til you mentioned it.

And the price isn't terribly more expensive. But yeah, the rate you go through these things, it might be more sensible to keep your eye on the cheaper 280, I can see you more ready to splurge when an even bigger price/perf. thingy is released. It might even be better or the same with F@h, no idea, but that seems to be what you're looking out for.

No, it's not really more expensive, and I think it would resell well overseas. According to the users at the F@H forum, a GTX 280 is producing around 6000 - 7500 PPD, where, based on what a single 4870 produces, they believe that a 4870 X2 will only produce around ~4000 PPD (double the 4870). So, with the GTX, I would theoreticly double F@H performance over the X2, and still have a killer gaming card. :D

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Not really complaining, just trying to be rational.

Me? Trying to be dramatic. :eek:

No, it's not really more expensive, and I think it would resell well overseas. According to the users at the F@H forum, a GTX 280 is producing around 6000 - 7500 PPD, where, based on what a single 4870 produces, they believe that a 4870 X2 will only produce around ~4000 PPD (double the 4870). So, with the GTX, I would theoreticly double F@H performance over the X2, and still have a killer gaming card. :D

I knew F@h was alittle picky but whoa, now that's dramatic. I'd have to agree! Hey let me know when they find out for certain, this is very interesting.

houseofbugs

I didnt get a chance to read the whole thread but I voted fro the GTX 280 because it will be the best fit for you. But be warned there is a 75% return rate on them because Nvidia is messing up the thermal paste and the cards are overheating. EVGA is the ONLY manufacturer who tests them BEFORE you get them. My buddy who works in the Motherboard and VGA department confirmed this to me and said that they are sending about 50% of them BACK to china because they are defective. Just keep that in mind. Also you can get 2 8800GTX's for under $400 used and they are about 20% faster than a GTX 280 BUT require a SLI mobo (i see you have an intel one). Just my 2 cents. I would stick with nvidia but I may be a fanboy. :p

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
OK. I wanted to go the XFX route for the 280. That's a bad idea? I've owned several eVGA cards in the past, but the "double" lifetime warranty that XFX provides is appealing, as I plan to sell this card on eBay in a couple months. :p

houseofbugs

I plan to sell this card on eBay in a couple months. :p

Why not just sell it to me? :p Seriously :)

I love XFX but I have no inside connections with them as I do with EVGA. I have had no issues with XFX and have been using them for years.

~Tim

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the XFX GTX 280.

why would he pay that much exactly? is it because that was the only way to get one?

Probably because it's less than what retail costs in Malaysia. Yeah, we have our stuff made there, but that doesn't mean their citizens get it cheaper. :p