4890 vs 5850

funkysnair

VIP Member
yeh its not to bad is it, im looking at clocking this up too the 5870 spec 850mhz gpu and 1100mhz ram atleast!

without the bios unlocked i could only reach 775mhz gpu, now its 1550mhz (i wish it was possible lol)

one of the reviews of this card

"Temperatures are amazing, even with the quiet fan and the out of the box overclocking, the temperatures are super low. It seems Powercolor struck gold with this cooling"

doesnt matter cos i have an EK full water block wating to cool this sucker

StrangleHold

Staff member
The thing about the 5830 is the benchmarks are all over the place. Even with the 4870 in a few and then as good or better then the GTX 275 in others. Makes it kinda hard to judge the card.

87dtna

The thing about the 5830 is the benchmarks are all over the place. Even with the 4870 in a few and then as good or better then the GTX 275 in others. Makes it kinda hard to judge the card.

Yeah, so screw it and get a 5850. I'm actually looking at getting a gtx470 though, looks to be better than the 5850 and almost as good as a 5870.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30321-nvidia-geforce-gtx-470-review-15.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30321-nvidia-geforce-gtx-470-review-21.html

Last edited:

87dtna

Yeah, to me its alittle high, about 200 bucks seems about right. ATI sorta got in a price pinch. Bet a 5790 is coming in the 200 buck price range.

For me too, thats what I picked up a 5770....but was disappointed with it's performance with AA/AF. So I used it in a partial trade for an I5 670 :eek:

I doubt that about a 5790, it would be atleast as strong if not stronger than the 5830. They can't do that.

In a few months when the prices settle a little, I'm gonna see if I can scrounge up enough for a gtx470. I've seemed to favor Nvidia over ATI, although I like eyefinity, I wish Nvidia would do something similar.

bomberboysk

For me too, thats what I picked up a 5770....but was disappointed with it's performance with AA/AF. So I used it in a partial trade for an I5 670 :eek:

I doubt that about a 5790, it would be atleast as strong if not stronger than the 5830. They can't do that.

In a few months when the prices settle a little, I'm gonna see if I can scrounge up enough for a gtx470. I've seemed to favor Nvidia over ATI, although I like eyefinity, I wish Nvidia would do something similar.
Nvidia is, its gonna be limited to 3 displays though and you need 2 cards in SLI to do it.

bomberboysk

Does the gtx470 do it? What cards will do it?

Will it work with 2 displays on one card then?

Dont quote me on this but i believe all cards GTX 260 and up will do it, but since nvidia cards are limited to 2 outputs/card i assume you may be able to do it with 2 displays(although, for FPS when crosshair is generally center of screen, your gonna have a big bezel in your way, you pretty much need 3 screens).